Buckwheat Banana Pancakes
SERVES 6. HANDS-ON TIME: 30 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES.
ground flaxseeds 2 1 cups tbsp
plain unsweetened almond milk 2 tsp fresh lemon juice 2 cups buckwheat flour 2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp each baking soda and sea salt 2 tbsp safflower or sunflower oil
1 tbsp pure maple syrup + additional for serving 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 2 bananas, thinly sliced + additional for serving
1. In a small bowl, combine flax and 2 tbsp water. In a large bowl, combine almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside both bowls for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. 3. Whisk flax mixture into milk mixture. Whisk in oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir flour mixture into milk mixture. Fold in bananas.
4. Mist a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium. Working 3 or 4 pancakes at a time, pour 2 tbsp batter onto skillet for each pancake and cook for 2 minutes, or until batter bubbles and pancakes begin to brown around edges. Flip and cook for 2 minutes more. Repeat with remaining batter, misting skillet between batches, making about 18 pancakes total. Serve with additional maple syrup and bananas.
PER SERVING (3 pancakes): Calories: 247, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated
Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5 g, Carbs: 42 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 514 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg 1. Arrange tempeh slices in
2 13 x 9-inch baking dishes. In a small saucepan, bring ½ cup water, tamari, vinegar, coconut sugar, cumin and chile to a boil for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in liquid smoke (if using). Pour over tempeh. Let cool then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Carefully transfer tempeh to prepared sheets; discard marinade.
3. Brush slices with half of oil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Flip tempeh slices, brush with remaining half of oil and bake for 5 to 7 minutes more, or until crisp and dark brown.
4. On each wrap, spread mayonnaise. Add tempeh and desired toppings.
PER SERVING (1 wrap with 4 slices tempeh): Calories: 296, Total Fat: 15 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Carbs: 27 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 14 g, Sodium: 299 mg, Cholesterol: 3 mg