Basil Lime Chicken with Grilled Vegetables & Herb Sauce
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 45 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES.
Cutting chicken breasts into thin cutlets helps them cook quickly on the grill – if you can find pre-sliced cutlets, use them instead and save yourself the prep work. A quick blender sauce with fresh basil and lime is smothered over top for a zesty, spicy kick.
2 limes, zested and juiced 1½ cups 2 limes,torn fresh zested basil and juiced 6 tbsp safflower oil 2 tbsp red wine vinegar 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled 2 tsp ground cumin ¼ tsp red pepper flakes ½ tsp sea salt
1 lime, thinly sliced ½ cup torn fresh basil 2 tbsp safflower oil 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce ½ tsp ground cumin
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each cut in half horizontally to make thin cutlets ½ tsp sea salt
3 zucchini, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds 4 tsp safflower oil, divided 1 tsp sea salt, divided ½ tsp ground cumin 4 ears corn, husked 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes 3 bunches green onions
1. Prepare sauce: To a food processor, add all sauce ingredients. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
2. Prepare chicken: To a large bowl, add lime slices, basil, oil, garlic, soy sauce and cumin; stir to combine. Add chicken to bowl, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Prepare vegetables: Preheat a grill to medium-high and lightly grease grate. In a bowl, toss together zucchini, 1 tsp oil, ½ tsp salt and cumin. Brush corn with 1 tsp oil and sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt. Place corn and zucchini on grill; close lid and cook, turning occasionally, until tender and grill-marked,
10 to 14 minutes for zucchini and 15 minutes for corn. Transfer to a large baking sheet; cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
4. On metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread tomatoes. Brush tomatoes and green onions with remaining 2 tsp oil and sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp salt. Place on grill; close lid and cook, turning occasionally, until tender and
grill-marked, 2 to 3 minutes for green onions and 3 to 5 minutes for tomatoes. Add to baking sheet; cover to keep warm.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Place on grill; close lid and cook, turning once, until no longer pink inside,
6 to 10 minutes. Transfer half of chicken to a plate; let cool, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for Grilled Chicken Tacos (right). Cover remaining chicken loosely with foil to keep warm.
6. Cut corn kernels from cobs; transfer 1 cup kernels and ½ cup tomatoes to a separate bowl. Chop 8 slices zucchini and 8 green onions; add to bowl. Stir in 2 tsp sauce. Cover and refrigerate for Grilled Chicken Tacos (right).
7. In a separate large bowl, toss together remaining corn kernels, zucchini (chopped, if desired), tomatoes and 2 tbsp sauce; divide among plates. Divide chicken among plates. Chop green onions (or leave whole, if desired), sprinkle over top and drizzle with remaining sauce.
PER SERVING (¼ of recipe): Calories: 449, Total Fat: 27 g, Sat. Fat: 2.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 18 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 10 g, Protein: 29 g, Sodium: 778 mg, Cholesterol: 63 mg
NIGHT 1 COST PER PLATE: $6.14 TOTAL COST: $24.57