Fall Vegetable Bowl with Teff Dukkah
SERVES 4. HANDS-ON TIME: 30 MINUTES. TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR.
1/2 cup teff
2 tbsp each fennel seeds and cumin seeds
½ cup shelled pistachios, toasted and finely chopped
¼ cup toasted sesame seeds 1 tsp sea salt, divided
1 cup unsweetened full-fat or coconut-milk yogurt
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice ½ tsp minced garlic
1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
1½ cups cooked chickpeas
(or 1 15-oz BPA-free can, drained and rinsed)
2 tbsp olive oil 2 tsp ground turmeric
3 cups cooked wild and brown rice mix (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Wild and Brown Rice Mix)
2 cups steamed spinach
1. To a large sauté pan on medium-low, add teff. Toast for
2 to 3 minutes, until teff begins to make popping sounds. Stir in ¾ cup water, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until water is fully evaporated, then remove from heat. Let sit, covered, for 5 minutes longer, then spread out teff on a baking sheet to dry.
2. In a small sauté pan, toast fennel and cumin seeds for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant. Use a spice grinder or mortar and pestle to grind into a powder. Mix together dried teff, pistachios, ground spices, sesame seeds and ¾ tsp salt. Set aside until ready to use.
3. Mix together yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and 1/8 tsp salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. In a bowl, toss cauliflower, chickpeas, oil, turmeric and remaining 1/8 tsp salt;
spread onto a baking sheet. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing 2 to 3 times during cooking, until well browned.
5. To assemble, fill each bowl with ¾ cup rice and drizzle 3 tbsp yogurt mixture and 2 tbsp dukkah. Divide cauliflower-chickpea mixture and spinach on top. Drizzle each with 1 tbsp yogurt and top with 1 to 2 tbsp more dukkah (use more to taste). Serve warm or cool.
NOTE: This recipe makes about double the amount of dukkah you will need for the bowls. Store remaining dukkah in the refrigerator for up to 1 week and in the freezer for up to 1 month. Use as a garnish for just about any savory dish from salads to soups to cooked mains.
PER SERVING (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 592, Total Fat: 19 g, Sat. Fat: 4 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Carbs: 87 g, Fiber: 17 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 23 g, Sodium: 590 mg, Cholesterol: 8 mg