Students and staff at the Boys and Girls Village were evacuated because of a bomb threat Thursday morning.
Steven Kant, the CEO, said an employee “received a text message warning that an explosive device had been placed at one of our facilities.”
He said “upon receipt of the threat, BGV staff immediately notified law enforcement and carried out a safe and orderly evacuation of its facilities.”
The text was received around 9 a.m.
The village on Wheelers Farm Road serves about 85 at-risk youth youth with behavioral, educational, vocational services. About twothirds are day students and a third live on the campus.
Students and staff were evacuated and moved to another building near the campus.
Officer Michael DeVito said the Connecticut State Police Bomb Squad was called to the scene shortly after Milford police learned of the threat.
After searching the campus, the bomb squad cleared the scene at 10:40 a.m. Students and staff were then allowed to return.