COTTAGE FURNITURE BASICS: RATTAN CHAIRS
This retro accent chair has been freshened up for today.
See how this retro accent chair has been freshened up for today.
While antique rattan chairs (or more generally wicker) often conjure up images of ornate Victorian styles, the method of weaving soaked natural fibers into a shape and leaving it to harden into furniture dates back to the Egyptian days. Pharaohs would often be buried in large woven caskets—a craft born from basket weaving. But the Victorians brought the look into fashion at the turn of the century, where, in the world of rattan, the more stylized and coiled, the better. Fast forward to the midcentury and companies like Heywood Wakefield adopted the look in America. Repopularized in the ’60s and ’70s when boho styles hit the mainstream, rattan furniture earned its reputation as a modern material with an artistic edge. The rattan styles we see today retain these cleaner lines and simpler silhouettes.
3. Diamond rattan chair, $330. Visit dearkeaton.com.
1. Daisy chair, $159. Visit article.com.
5. Rattan butterfly chair, $525. Visit eclecticgoods.com.
2. Palms rattan chair, $598. (866) 597-2742 or serenaandlily.com.
4. Pari rattan chair, $98. (800) 309-2500 or anthropologie.com.