BEST OF THE WEST M
No ordinary fair, this California market focuses on the fun of finding vintage and antique treasures.
There won’t be any goats and it’s no longer held on a farm, but the Goat Hill Fair, now in its fifth year, is one of the best attended and most eagerly anticipated vintage shows in Northern California.
Held each May and November at the scenic Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds, the two-day shopper’s paradise features nearly 100 vendors.
Cyndi Garofalo, the event’s organizer, recalls spending more than a decade attending antiques fairs, festivals and expos as both a seller and buyer. “I learned what made a successful event—and what ruined one,” Cyndi says.
Goat Hill showcases both carefully selected vendors and over- the-top, crazy displays. Each seller guarantees at least 80 percent of the goods he or she sells are vintage or antique. The other 20 percent must be artisan creations, preferably crafted from upcycled or repurposed materials, or locally made edibles. And, each “shopkeeper” is expected to display the objects up for grabs in unique and enticing ways.
Although it’s hard to imagine anyone would long for anything else, the Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds also boasts a family- friendly park and a working agricultural history museum.