Cherry-Almond Coffee Break Cake
Consider swapping the cherries for other in-season fruit. Rhubarb would be nice here, too.
PREP: 20 MIN. • BAKE: 70 MIN. MAKES: 8 SERVINGS
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
8 oz. almond paste
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided ³₄ cup butter, cut into pieces, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest 6 large eggs, at room
2 tsp. baking powder
³₄ tsp. fine sea salt 8 oz. whole, pitted, unsweetened dark cherries (fresh or thawed frozen) Confectioners’ sugar
1. Position a rack in center of oven; preheat the oven to 325°. Spray a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine sugar, almond paste and ¼ cup of flour. Process until blended and resembling sand, about 1 minute. Add the butter, vanilla and lemon zest. Blend continuously for 2 minutes, until the batter is smooth and lightened in texture.
3. With the food processor running, add eggs one at a time, giving each about 5 seconds to blend into the batter. When all the eggs have been added, stop the processor and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Process for 15 seconds more. Add remaining flour, baking powder and salt. Pulse 20 times to blend.
4. Scrape batter into the prepared pan. Scatter cherries over the top.
5. Bake until cake is puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 70 minutes. Cool completely in the pan. Remove from pan and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
1 piece: 530 cal., 29g fat (13g sat. fat), 185mg chol., 508mg sod., 61g carb. (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g pro.
`It’s been a mission of sorts to pull meaningful meals and sweet treats from the oven.❞