Confetti Cake with Brown Sugar Buttercream
This simple, festive cake has been at family celebrations for years. Dress it up with tinted frosting and confetti for pure party fun.
PREP: 40 MIN. BAKE: 20 MIN. + COOLING MAKES: 16 SERVINGS
2¹ ₄ cups cake flour
1¹ ₂ cups sugar
3¹ ₂ tsp. baking powder
¹₂ tsp. salt
¹₂ cup unsalted butter, softened 4 large egg whites
³₄ cup 2% milk
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract ¹₂ tsp. almond extract
¹₃ cup rainbow jimmies BUTTERCREAM
4 large egg whites
1 cup packed light brown sugar ¹₄ tsp. salt 1¹ ₂ cups unsalted butter, softened 1¹ ₂ tsp. clear vanilla extract
¹ ₂ to ³ ₄ tsp. yellow food coloring Confetti sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat in the butter. Add the egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in the milk and extracts. Gently fold in rainbow jimmies.
3. Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
4. For buttercream, in a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, brown sugar and salt until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. With whisk attachment of stand mixer, beat on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
6. Gradually beat in butter, a few tablespoons at a time, on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and enough food coloring to achieve desired color.
7. Immediately spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Decorate with the sprinkles. Store in refrigerator.
TEST KITCHEN TIP This cake was prepared with Eillien’s Rainbow Decorettes in the batter. If not available, look for other nonchocolate rainbow jimmies.
1 SLICE 436 cal., 24g fat (15g sat. fat), 62mg chol., 239mg sod., 51g carb. (35g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g pro.