Of­fi­cial: In­ves­ti­ga­tors es­ti­mate train was speed­ing when it crashed

Daily Freeman (Kingston, NY) - - LOCAL NEWS - By Michael Bal­samo

Fed­eral in­ves­ti­ga­tors es­ti­mate a com­muter train was trav­el­ing two to three times the 10 mph speed limit when it slammed into a New Jer­sey rail sta­tion last week, a U.S. of­fi­cial told The As­so­ci­ated Press on Tues­day.

The of­fi­cial, who was briefed on the in­ves­ti­ga­tion, said in­ves­ti­ga­tors es­ti­mated the train was mov­ing be­tween 20 and 30 mph when it crashed into Hobo­ken Ter­mi­nal last Thurs­day. The of­fi­cial was not au­tho­rized to speak about an on­go­ing in­ves­ti­ga­tion and spoke to the AP on con­di­tion of anonymity.

The speed es­ti­mate is based on the ex­tent of da­m­age, not on data from the train’s in­stru­ments.

Fed­eral in­ves­ti­ga­tors re­cov­ered a data recorder, video recorder and the en­gi­neer’s cell­phone from the front car of the train Tues­day af­ter­noon and sent them to an agency lab for anal­y­sis.

Na­tional Trans­porta­tion Safety Board in­ves­ti­ga­tor James South­worth said they don’t yet know if the recorders con­tain any use­ful in­for­ma­tion.

Ac­cess to the de­vices had been ham­pered by de­bris from the crash.

South­worth said it would be at least a day be­fore in­ves­ti­ga­tors are able to move the crashed train. He said New Jer­sey Tran­sit ser­vice into and out of Hobo­ken wouldn’t re­sume be­fore then.

A sec­ond data recorder, in the lo­co­mo­tive at the rear of the train, wasn’t func­tion­ing the day of the crash and didn’t record speed, brak­ing or other in­for­ma­tion about the trip, the NTSB has said.

That recorder was built in 1995. The recorder re­cov­ered Tues­day was made in 2003, in­ves­ti­ga­tors said.

En­gi­neer Thomas Gal­lagher’s cell­phone was found in a back­pack in the cab of the front train car.

At a brief­ing Tues­day, NTSB in­ves­ti­ga­tor James South­worth de­clined to ad­dress the train’s speed. “We’re not pre­pared to make that state­ment right now,” he said.

One wo­man stand­ing on a plat­form was killed by de­bris as the train smashed through a concrete-and­steel bumper and knocked out pil­lars, caus­ing a sec­tion of the sta­tion’s out­door roof to col­lapse.

More than 100 peo­ple were in­jured.

Gal­lagher told in­ves­ti­ga­tors that he had no mem­ory of the crash but said he was op­er­at­ing at 10 mph as he ap­proached the sta­tion, said T. Bella Din­hZarr, the vice chair of the Na­tional Trans­porta­tion Safety Board.

Gal­lagher, 48, said he only re­mem­bered wak­ing up on the floor of the en­gi­neer’s cab, Dinh-Zarr said Sun­day.

Fed­eral reg­u­la­tions re­quire com­muter trains to have work­ing recorders. The reg­u­la­tions re­quire they be in­spected ev­ery 92 days. It was un­clear when the non­work­ing recorder, which of­fi­cials said was in­stalled in 1995, had been last in­spected.

The com­muter rail ser­vice has not re­sponded to re­quests for com­ment. As­so­ci­ated Press writer Michael R. Sisak in Philadel­phia con­trib­uted to this re­port.


This Oct. 1 photo pro­vided by the Na­tional Trans­porta­tion Safety Board shows da­m­age done to the Hobo­ken Ter­mi­nal in Hobo­ken, N.J., af­ter a com­muter train crash that killed one per­son and in­jured more than 100 oth­ers last week.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.