Town rejects request to start review without consultant
Town Board members are not willing to appoint a committee to begin the comprehensive plan revision process until an existing panel makes a recommendation on which consulting firm to use.
The discussion arose during a meeting Tuesday, when Councilman Jay Wenk asked for fellow board members to endorse his selections for a review committee.
“We had an organizational meeting (on Monday)... and the Town Board needs to say ‘go ahead and do this’ without committing to accepting the work,” he said.
Wenk declined to identify the members of his proposed committee.
Board members in September opened proposals for consulting services submitted by Barton and Loguidice at $79,000; Behan Planning and Design at $65,285; BFJ Planning at $90,090; and Ferrandino and Associates at $125,000.
Committee members appointed during the September session included John
LaValle, Jill Fisher, Mike Stock, Barry Price, Paul Vanwagenon, Kirk Ritchey and Sasha Gillman. They were given the option of recommending that the comprehensive plan be updated with use of local consultants, which was a suggestion by Wenk.
“The seven people who are on (the committee) have refused to consider that part of the resolution that we sent to them asking for the possibility of a in-town, homegrown ... version of an
update comp plan,” Wenk said. “They made that decision without any input, without any questions.”
Councilwoman Laura Ricci said the existing committee did consider the option of obtaining local expertise and decided to consider only those consultants that responded to the town call for qualifications.
“We’re not bound to follow the recommendations but I would like to know their recommendations,” she said. “I would like to
know of the four companies which one or ... two that they’re recommending.”
Councilman Bill McKenna said appointment of a new committee should wait until a consultant is recommended.
“Out of respect to the seven people on the committee to review the (request for qualifications), I’d like to wait for their recommendations, hopefully which will come in the next week or two,” he said.