Apartment complex evacuated amid carbon monoxide probe
TOWN OF ULSTER >> Fifty residents of the Ulster Gardens apartment complex off East Chester Street Bypass were evacuated Sunday afternoon after “an extremely high level carbon monoxide” was detected there , Central Hudson spokesperson Dana O’Neill said.
Ulster town Supervisor James Quigley said firefighters from Ulster Hose Company No. 5 and utility workers from Central Hudson responded to the scene in response to a carbon monoxide alarm around 12:10 p.m.
Residents of the complex were evacuated to a common area, Quigley said.
Quigley, who had been attending a National Guard ceremony in Kingston, said he was advised of the situation and got to the scene around 12:45 p.m. He said he was told it would be quickly resolved with residents being allowed to return to their apartments around 1:30 p.m.
Ulster Hose Company No. 5 assistant chief John Kelly said he couldn’t offer details on the incident because firefighters were being called back to the scene before they had a chance to brief him on the incident.
O’Neill said late Sunday afternoon that utility crews had left the scene and residents had returned to their units.
Carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that is produced by the inefficient burning of fuel, can be deadly. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
Ulster Gardens, owned by Devon Management, is described as an “affordable apartment complex” that features one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments, according to its website.