Boiler caused apart­ment com­plex’s CO prob­lem

Daily Freeman (Kingston, NY) - - FRONT PAGE - Free­man staff

A mal­func­tion­ing boiler caused the high lev­els of car­bon monox­ide that forced the evac­u­a­tion of about 50 peo­ple from the Ul­ster Gar­dens apart­ment com­plex, the town su­per­vi­sor said Mon­day.

James Quigley said the boiler at the com­plex on East Chester Street By­pass was be­ing re­paired and there was no dan­ger to res­i­dents.

Res­i­dents of Ul­ster Gar­dens were evac­u­ated to a com­mon area at the com­plex about 12:45 p.m. Sun­day, af­ter an alarm alerted fire­fight­ers, and they were al­lowed back into their apart­ments about 1:30 p.m.

No in­juries or ill­nesses were re­ported, and Quigley said the car­bon monox­ide alarms worked “as they were de­signed” to alert au­thor­i­ties.

Car­bon monox­ide is a col­or­less, odor­less gas pro­duced by the in­ef­fi­cient burn­ing of fuel, and it can be deadly. Com­mon symp­toms of car­bon monox­ide poi­son­ing are headache, dizzi­ness, weak­ness, up­set stom­ach, vom­it­ing, chest pain and con­fu­sion, ac­cord­ing to the U.S. Cen­ters for Dis­ease Con­trol and Preven­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.