Faulty wire blamed for fire; no one in­jured

Daily Freeman (Kingston, NY) - - LOCAL NEWS - Freeman staff

Faulty wiring to a panel box caused a fire in an apart­ment house on U.S. Route 209 that dam­aged a hall­way be­tween two units, a Na­panoch Fire De­part­ment of­fi­cial said Wed­nes­day.

No one was in­jured in the Tues­day af­ter­noon blaze, As­sis­tant Chief Richard Thorpe said.

Thorpe said fire­fight­ers ar­rived at 7128 Route 209 at about 1 p.m. af­ter smoke was seen com­ing from an out­door elec­tri­cal box. When fire­fight­ers ar­rived, he said, flames were seen be­hind the box and had ex­tended into the build­ing’s in­te­rior walls.

Thorpe said the fire was con­trolled with ex­tin­guish­ers and that a Cen­tral Hud­son Gas & Elec­tric Corp. crew turned off the elec­tric­ity. He said the blaze was ex­tin­guished in about half an hour and the dam­age was con­tained to the hall­way.

There was no dam­age to any of the three or four apart­ments in the build­ing, Thorpe said. The build­ing was ven­ti­lated and “hab­it­able,” though there was no power when fire­fight­ers left, he said.

One per­son who was in the build­ing when the fire be­gan got out safely be­fore fire­fight­ers ar­rived, Thorpe said.

The Mid-Hud­son Val­ley Chap­ter of the American Red Cross pro­vided fi­nan­cial as­sis­tance and lodg­ing to two peo­ple af­ter the fire, ac­cord­ing to a press re­lease from the agency.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.