LAW & DISORDER
The following items are based on information provided by officials in law enforcement and the criminal justice system.
City of Kingston
• Drugs: Ellery Meredith, 35, of Rockaway Beach Boulevard, Queens, and Ashley A. Bradley, 33, of John Street, Kingston, were arrested by Kingston police after an investigation into crack cocaine sales at a residence on Garden Street. After executing a search warrant at 53 Garden Street, Meredith and Bradley were arrested by Kingston police Wednesday. Meredith was charged with two felony counts of sale of a controlled substance and two felony counts of possession of a controlled substance. Bradley was charged with two felony counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance. Meredith was sent to the Ulster County Jail without bail, Bradley in lieu of $25,000 bail pending court appearances. • Burglary: Christopher D. Harden, 26, of East Union Street, Kingston, and Nicholas T. Vargas, 21, of O’Neil Street, Kingston, were arrested by Kingston police at about 4 a.m. Friday after a local resident who happened to be awake at about 1:10 a.m. reported suspicious activity at a vacant building on Newkirk Avenue. Harden and Vargas were arrested and charged with burglary, a felony. Harden was sent to the Ulster County Jail in lieu of $1,000 bail; Vargas in lieu of $500 bail pending court appearances.
• Welfare fraud: Richard N. Overbaugh, 45, of New York, was arrested by state police at Catskill at 1 p.m. Thursday at 411 Main St., village of Catskill, and was charged with grand larceny and welfare fraud, along with 17 counts of offering to file a false instrument, all felonies. Overbaugh’s status was unavailable.
• Drugs: Eugene Sokolowski, 51, of Highland, was arrested by state police at Highland at 10:04 p.m. Thursday on U.S. Route 44/ state Route 55 in Lloyd and was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor; possession of marijuana, a violation; and with equipment violations. Sokolowski was released with a ticket for Lloyd Town Court.
• Drugs: Cindy A. Binion, 43, of Walden, was arrested by state police at Gardiner at 4:15 p.m. Thursday on New Hurley Road in Plattekill and was charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor, and with having a controlled substance in a non-original container, a violation. Binion was released with a ticket for Plattekill Town Court.
• Drugs: Gemma L. Marshall, 30, of Red Hook, was arrested by Red Hook police at 11:25 a.m. Wednesday on Whalesback Road in the town of Red Hook and was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance and aggravated unlicensed driving, all misdemeanors, along with possession of marijuana, a violation. Marshall was released with a ticket for Red Hook Town Court.
Town of Rochester
• Drugs: Todd J. Coppersmith, 33, of Accord, was arrested by state police at Wawarsing at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at 19 South Road, Rochester, and was charged with unlawfully growing cannabis, criminal possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana, all misdemeanors. Coppersmith was released with a ticket for Rochester Town Court.
• Assault/DWI: William B. Acker, 54, of New York, was arrested by state police at Ulster at 2:50 p.m. Thursday on Elwyn Lane in Woodstock and was charged with assault, a felony, and with drunken driving and resisting arrest, both misdemeanors. Acker was sent to the Ulster County Jail in lieu of $25,000 bail pending a court appearance. Further information was unavailable.