Town looks to take junk yard neigh­bor to court

Daily Freeman (Kingston, NY) - - FRONT PAGE - By William J. Kem­ble news@free­manon­line.com

Town Board mem­bers have agreed to take court ac­tion against the owner of the prop­erty at 1019 state Route 213 in an ef­fort to re­move cars and car parts that have spilled over from Buck’s Junk Yard.

Ap­proval to file pa­pers in state Supreme Court was given a meet­ing Thurs­day, when of­fi­cials said As­to­ria res­i­dent John Per­rakis failed to com­ply with a no­tice of vi­o­la­tion that had set an Oct. 23 dead­line for cleanup.

The ac­tion comes as of­fi­cials wait for a de­ci­sion from state Supreme Court on shut­ting down Buck’s Junk Yard, which has been un­der town or­ders to be shut down after more than six years of le­gal ef­forts to have the site com­ply with town reg­u­la­tions.

“We are wait­ing for a court date,” town at­tor­ney Ja­son Ko­vacs said. “I would ex­pect a de­ci­sion in De­cem­ber or early Jan­uary.”

Su­per­vi­sor James Quigley said the Per­rakis prop­erty has been “ap­pro­pri­ated” by Buck’s owner Don Mackenzie. Ul­ster County records show that Per­rakis pur­chased the prop­erty for a dol­lar on June 11, 1999 from Bucks Scrap Iron.

Town Build­ing In­spec­tor Kathy Moniz last month said the Per­rakis prop­erty has be­come a “junk yard with­out a li­cense or with­out a site plan.”

Nei­ther Per­rakis nor Mackenzie could be reached for com­ment.

The court case against Mackenzie was au­tho­rized in June 2015 fol­low­ing years of ef­forts to have the site con­form with town zon­ing reg­u­la­tions. Of­fi­cials want the court to is­sue a stop work or­der based on the ab­sence of a state li­censes to work on ve­hi­cles.

Mackenzie in 2011 was turned down by the town Zon­ing Board of Ap­peals when chal­leng­ing a town stop work or­der but later in the year he was given con­di­tional site plan ap­proval after terms for prop­erty im­prove­ments were set. Those terms were not met and on Nov. 1, 2012 the Town Board turned down a per­mit ap­pli­ca­tion for Mackenzie to con­tinue oper­at­ing at the site, with ap­peals turned down two more times through July 2014.

Res­i­dents who live near the site have ex­pressed frus­tra­tion over the slow progress.

“I though this would have been done by now,” res­i­dent Nancy Ebel said.

Res­i­dent Rosi­land Stark, who ini­tially com­plained about the site fol­low­ing a fire in 2010 at Buck’s, fol­low­ing the meet­ing, said the is­sue has dragged on too long.

“I’m 96, I’m go­ing to be 97 on Mon­day, I don’t have much time left, I would like to see a res­o­lu­tion soon,” she said. “We have been at this for more than five years now.”

TANIA BARRICKLO — DAILY FREE­MAN FILE

Buck’s Junk Yard at state Route 213 and Moun­tain Road in the Ed­dyville sec­tion of the town of Ul­ster.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.