Fire damages rental cabin in Saugerties
Embers from a campfire, propelled by high winds, sparked a fire at a cabin on state Route 212.
SAUGERTIES Embers from a campfire, propelled by high winds, sparked a fire at a cabin on state Route 212 Friday, according to Centerville/Cedar Grove Fire Chief James Mullen.
Mullen said firefighters received a report of a fire at the 15-by-15-foot cabin at 1415 Route 212 at 9:40 p.m. Friday, and when the first truck arrived five minutes later, firefighters found the cabin’s wood siding engulfed.
Firefighters were able to contain the blaze in about
20 minutes, and remained on the scene for two hours, Mullen said.
A couple from New York City who were spending the weekend at the cabin, which is rented out by a local bed and breakfast, were not injured, according to Mullen, who said the cabin is salvageable.