Man convicted of killing accused rapist
David Carlson was found guilty of first-degree manslaughter and faces a maximum prison sentence of 25 years.
An Orange County man who fatally shot a rape suspect he was trying to turn in to police was found guilty of manslaughter Monday.
David Carlson claimed he fired his gun in self-defense in October 2013 as he held Norris Acosta-Sanchez at gunpoint in Sparrowbush so a neighbor could call police. Acosta-Sanchez had been charged in Rockland County with statutory rape of a teenage girl and had been staying at a summer cabin near Carlson’s home.
Carlson, 46, was found guilty of first-degree manslaughter after more than seven days of jury deliberations. He faces a maximum of 25 years in prison when he is sentenced in January.
Carlson could have been convicted of the more serious crime of second-degree murder, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years to life.
While Carlson’s supporters say he’s more a victim than a vigilante, prosecutors said he was the aggressor.
“Justice was done,” Acosta-Sanchez’s relative, Charles Nieves, said after verdict.
Carlson had been trying to help police catch AcostaSanchez in the days leading up the shooting. AcostaSanchez had fled police after they let him go back to the cabin he was staying in to get his wallet.
Defense lawyers said Acosta-Sanchez showed up at Carlson’s home before the shooting. They said Carlson came out with his shotgun, and the two men began walking to a neighbor’s house so Carlson could call police.
Carlson has been remanded to the Orange County Jail in lieu of $250,000 cash bail or $500,000.