Mary­land ral­lies for last-second win at Ge­orge­town

Mr. NY Bas­ket­ball, Shenen­de­howa’s Kevin Huerter with last second block seals win

Daily Freeman (Kingston, NY) - - SPORTS - By Gene Wang

The lat­est in­stall­ment of the re­cently re­sumed ri­valry be­tween Mary­land and Ge­orge­town went to the Ter­rap­ins in dra­matic fash­ion Tues­day night, thanks to a fu­ri­ous rally in the clos­ing sec­onds and a game-sav­ing block by fresh­man Kevin Huerter that pre­served a 76-75 win at Ver­i­zon Cen­ter.

Down by five with 29 sec­onds re­main­ing, Mary­land (2-0) outscored the Hoyas 8-2 the rest of the way. Ju­nior guard Melo Trim­ble’s two free throws with 7.6 sec­onds to play capped the rally and gave Mary­land its first lead since early in the second half. Then with time ex­pir­ing, Huerter got his hand on the ball to thwart Ge­orge­town fresh­man Ja­gan Mosely’s drive to the bas­ket.

Trim­ble fin­ished with a game-high 22 points on 7-for-13 shoot­ing, and fresh­man for­ward Justin Jackson added 17 points and seven re­bounds in the ex­hil­a­rat­ing come­back. The Hoyas led by nine points with just more than two min­utes to go.

Ge­orge­town (1-1) got a team-high 21 points, in­clud­ing 19 in the second half, from ju­nior for­ward L.J. Peak. Ju­nior for­ward Isaac Copeland added 13 points and 13 re­bounds in just the fifth meet­ing since 1980 be­tween the schools sep­a­rated by roughly 20 miles.

“We beat a great team tonight,” Mary­land Coach Mark Tur­geon said. “I was wor­ried sick. Then [the Hoyas] started to make some shots, and then they made al­most ev­ery free throw. Our guys never quit. They kept com­pet­ing.”

The Hoyas sank 37 of 42 free throws, with Peak go­ing 10 of 12, but were un­able to over­come 32 percent shoot­ing cou­pled with 15 turnovers, in­clud­ing two in the fi­nal 18 sec­onds. Among the most egre­gious mis­cues was ju­nior guard Tre Camp­bell step­ping out of bounds while drib­bling with 8.4 sec­onds to play.

Ten sec­onds ear­lier, Rod­ney Pryor was called for trav­el­ing. The grad­u­ate trans­fer had a game-high five turnovers one game af­ter scor­ing 32 points in his Hoyas de­but on Satur­day in a 105-60 win against USC Up­state.

“We have to grow. We have to get bet­ter,” Ge­orge­town Coach John Thomp­son III said. “We have to learn from our mis­takes. I mean just too many men­tal er­rors down at the end.”

The thrilling re­sult in front of an an­nounced crowd of 13,145 com­pleted the second leg of a home­and-home se­ries as part of the Gavitt Tipoff Games. The Ter­rap­ins won last sea­son’s matchup, 75-71, in Col­lege Park in the teams’ first meet­ing since the 2007-08 sea­son.

This game also marked the first time since 1970 nei­ther pro­gram en­tered ranked in the As­so­ci­ated Press top 25 when fac­ing one an­other. Mary­land had been No. 25 but fell out af­ter open­ing the sea­son with a 62-56 vic­tory over Amer­i­can, coached by for­mer Ge­orge­town as­sis­tant Mike Bren­nan, on Fri­day at Xfin­ity Cen­ter.

The Ter­rap­ins’ late second-half charge be­gan with them trail­ing 68-59 with 2:21 left to play. Less than 30 sec­onds later, the mar­gin had shrunk to 70-66 on Huerter’s 3-pointer off a pass from guard An­thony Cowan, an­other of Mary­land’s nine fresh­men.

“It was a crazy game,” Trim­ble said. “They pretty much had the lead all of the second half, and we just kept fight­ing. We played with a group of fresh­men out there that had never been in that en­vi­ron­ment be­fore, and just for them to go out there and play the way they did and step up when we needed them to was very spe­cial.”

The deci­bel level rose sig­nif­i­cantly with 9:56 left when of­fi­cials as­sessed a tech­ni­cal foul against Tur­geon. Peak made both free throws, and af­ter Ivan Ben­der’s of­fen­sive re­bound put-back for the Ter­rap­ins, Ge­orge­town got Peak’s 3-pointer off a drive into the lane and kick­out pass by Copeland for a 54-49 lead.

Peak scored 10 of Ge­orge­town’s 13 points over one stretch in the second half dur­ing which the Hoyas opened a 60-53 lead with 6:39 to play. The only other Hoyas player to score in that time was Pryor, who sank a 3-pointer from the right cor­ner.

The lead went back and forth to start the second half, with Mary­land ahead 43-38 fol­low­ing back-to­back 3-point­ers by Jackson. The Hoyas pulled even shortly there­after on Pryor’s 3-pointer from the right cor­ner, and Jessie Go­van’s two free throws pro­vided a 4745 mar­gin with 11:08 to play.

The Ter­rap­ins had a 2924 lead in the fi­nal three min­utes of the first half on an 8-0 burst capped by Jared Nick­ens’s 3-pointer. Ge­orge­town coun­tered by scor­ing seven of the last nine points com­bined to even the score at 31 at in­ter­mis­sion.


Mary­land’s Melo Trim­ble, right, goes up for two points dur­ing the fi­nal minute of the team’s game against Isaac Copeland

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.