Boy’s death prompts pools’ clos­ing

The two pools at the Hud­son Val­ley Re­sort have re­mained closed since the July 4 in­ci­dent

Daily Freeman (Kingston, NY) - - FRONT PAGE - By Pa­tri­cia R. Doxsey pdoxsey@free­manon­line.com pat­ti­at­free­man on Twit­ter

KER­HONK­SON, N.Y. » A youth visit­ing the Hud­son Val­ley Re­sort in July as part of a re­li­gious group out­ing died two days af­ter be­ing pulled un­con­scious from the re­sort’s pool.

State Trooper Steven Nevel said po­lice con­tinue to in­ves­ti­gate the in­ci­dent, but au­thor­i­ties be­lieve the youth’s death to have been an ac­ci­den­tal drown­ing.

Emer­gency re­spon­ders were called to the 240-room re­sort at 4 p.m. July 4 for an un­con­scious mi­nor who had been pulled from a pool. Nevel said the boy died two days later, on July 6, at Westch­ester County Med­i­cal Cen­ter.

Au­thor­i­ties didn’t an­nounce the boy’s death at the time of the in­ci­dent and an ini­tial re­quest to the Ulster County Health Depart­ment for in­for­ma­tion was de­nied on the grounds that the in­ci­dent was still un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

The Freeman learned of the in-

cident in Au­gust, but was only able to con­firm the boy’s death this week.

Nevel said the boy’s death was ruled “ac­ci­den­tal as­phyxia due to drown­ing,” and that there was no in­di­ca­tion of al­co­hol, drugs, or foul play con­tribut­ing to his death.

On the same day the boy died, the Ulster County Health Depart­ment or­dered

both pools at the re­sort closed. The county Health Depart­ment is re­spon­si­ble for is­su­ing per­mits for pub­lic pools, said Health Com­mis­sioner Dr. Carol Smith.

Smith said that, al­though the fa­cil­ity’s out­door pool was “the one of par­tic­u­lar in­ter­est,” the Health Depart­ment closed both in­door and out­door pools pend­ing com­ple­tion of its in­ves­ti­ga­tion.

Ac­cord­ing to the re­sort’s web­site, the fa­cil­ity’s out­door pool is open be­tween

Me­mo­rial Day and La­bor Day. Its in­door pool is open year-round, how­ever a note on the re­sort’s web­site states “Please note that our pool may be closed pe­ri­od­i­cally due to cir­cum­stances be­yond our con­trol — please call to con­firm avail­abil­ity.”

Smith con­firmed Thurs­day that the pools re­mained closed un­der or­der of the Health Depart­ment. She said the Health Depart­ment will not is­sue per­mits for the pools to re­open un­til the depart­ment

meets with rep­re­sen­ta­tives of RHL Corp., which owns the re­sort for­merly known as the Granit.

“In or­der to have the clo­sure no­tice re­moved we have to con­duct a full in­ves­ti­ga­tion in­clud­ing a hear­ing,” said Smith. She said a hear­ing had been sched­uled for Au­gust, but that hear­ing was post­poned at the re­quest of RHL Corp.

“That was the last that we heard from them,” Smith said, adding: “They un­der­stood the per­mit would not

be re­in­stated un­til we have a hear­ing.”

Calls to the Hud­son Val­ley Re­sort and Spa by the Freeman were not re­turned.

Smith said the boy was at the re­sort on an out­ing with a New York City-based group and was in the pool with a num­ber of other youths at the time of the in­ci­dent. She said a life­guard was on duty at the time, but couldn’t say whether there was more than one life­guard at the pool or how many peo­ple were in the

pool at the time of the in­ci­dent.

Nevel said a life­guard per­formed car­diopul­monary re­sus­ci­ta­tion on the boy un­til emer­gency re­spon­ders ar­rived.

Of­fi­cials de­clined to iden­tify the boy by name or say how old he was.

In ad­di­tion to mak­ing the pools avail­able to the guests of the re­sort, Hud­son Val­ley Re­sort and Spa opens them to groups and camps, and of­fers day passes to the out­door pool to lo­cal res­i­dents.

TANIA BARRICKLO— DAILY FREEMAN FILE

The Hud­son Val­ley Re­sort and Spa’s main build­ing, left, and a smaller build­ing stand per­pen­dic­u­lar to each other in Novem­ber 2015.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.