High school reopens after curtain fire in auditorium
ACCORD, N.Y. » Rondout Valley High School opened on schedule Tuesday after a fire in the school’s auditorium forced an evacuation of the building the day before, according to the district superintendent.
Rosario Agostaro said the school, on Kyserike Road, was evacuated about 2 p.m. Monday after a curtain in the auditorium caught fire.
Agostaro said a theater light on the stage was too close to a curtain and ignited the fabric.
He said damage to the auditorium was not extensive but the district “will be submitting a report to our insurance carrier.”
The Accord Fire Department used fans to clear smoke from the building and students were dismissed after being evacuated. All after-school activities were canceled.