McCoy sued over Philadelphia nightclub brawl
PHILADELPHIA >> Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy was sued Tuesday over a Philadelphia nightclub brawl that left two offduty police officers injured.
The civil suit claims McCoy beat and kicked one officer while he was on the ground and punched another officer in the eye. The suit was filed in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and seeks money damages from McCoy, two other men and the nightclub.
“Our investigation has confirmed that Darnell Jessie and Roland Butler were viciously attacked and beaten by LeSean McCoy and the other defendants. As a result of the violent assault, both men have suffered serious and permanent injuries,” the plaintiffs’ lawyer, Fortunato Perri Jr., said in a statement.
McCoy’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, declined comment. McCoy’s attorney has said he was only trying to break up a fight between the officers and his friends over a $350 bottle of Champagne. Police have said the Feb. 7 fight broke out over a misunderstanding about who had bought the bottle.
District Attorney Seth Williams announced in April that no charges would be filed in connection with the brawl, saying he couldn’t prove who started it. The Pennsylvania attorney general’s office reviewed the case at the request of the president of the Philadelphia police union but declined to intervene.
According to the suit, the off-duty officers went to Recess Lounge and ordered bottles of Champagne. One of McCoy’s co-defendants tried grabbing one of the bottles, saying, “That bottle is mine,” then attacked the officer holding it.
One officer suffered facial fractures and a concussion in the ensuing brawl, while the other suffered a broken nose, ribs and thumb, the suit said. Both missed two months of work.
McCoy is in his second season with the Bills after six years with the Philadelphia Eagles. The Bills were off Tuesday and return to practice on Wednesday.
Sprained thumb could leave struggling Bears without Cutler
LAKE FOREST, ILL. >> The struggling Chicago Bears might have to get by without quarterback Jay Cutler.
Coach John Fox said Cutler has a sprained right thumb that does not appear to require surgery and would not rule him out for this weekend’s game against the Dallas Cowboys.
If he is not ready, Brian Hoyer will start.
“It’s hard for me to give timelines,” Fox said on Tuesday. “We’ll evaluate tomorrow. We’ve got practice tomorrow, we’re on a short week already. If Jay’s ready to do it, fine. If not, we’ll go with Brian Hoyer.”
Cutler topped a long list of players injured in Monday’s 29-14 loss to Philadelphia.
The defense was hit hard, with linebacker Danny Trevathan scheduled for surgery Wednesday morning on a sprained thumb. The Bears were awaiting the results of an MRI on linebacker Lamarr Houston, who suffered a left knee injury that Fox said “appears to be significant.” Nose tackle Eddie Goldman (sprained ankle) left the field on a cart.
Kaepernick says he has received death threats
SANTA CLARA >> Colin Kaepernick says he has received death threats through social media and other avenues since he began to protest during the national anthem last month.
Kaepernick said Tuesday he has not alerted San Francisco 49ers team security about the threats and understood that could happen once he began his protest over racial oppression and police brutality in the United States.
“To me, if something like that were going to happen, you’ve proved my point,” he said. “It would be loud and clear for everyone why it happened. That would move this movement forward at a greater speed than what it is even now. Granted, I don’t want that to happen. But that’s the realization of what could happen.”
Kaepernick’s protest during the anthem became public last month when he sat during the anthem before a preseason game against Green Bay and later explained his reasoning.
He has since kneeled before the Niners’ past three games.