Because the harmful effects of stress seep into many aspects of everyday living such as sleep, relationships, and eating habits among others, wreaking havoc on the body’s ability to cope with inflammation, it can be beneficial to have a stress reduction plan in place that includes healthy eating.
Here are some stressbusting suggestions to stay focused and balanced for better health:
• Include avariety of nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables daily that help fight inflammation.
• Consider how the use of caffeine, nicotine or sugar may be working against your goals for a healthier lifestyle.
• Try incorporating daily meditation. Try out one of the many smartphone apps like Headspace and Calm that help with teaching, scheduling and advancing meditation practices.
• Unplug. Give yourself time before bed to disconnect from technology such as cell phones, computers and television to help set the stage for restful sleep.
• Consider logging your eating habits to help uncover patterns between how you feel and what you eat.
• Use exercise as an outlet to help manage stress. Activities like yoga, tai chi and swimming that involve intentional breathing can play a beneficial role in stress reduction.
• Laugh it off. Socializing with family and friends can help with coping and may boost self-esteem.
• Stay open-minded about trying alternative stress reduction methods like massage, acupressure, art therapy, aromatherapy and hypnosis.
• If your stress is unmanageable and you could benefit from support, don’t be afraid to ask for help. LeeAnn Weintraub, a registered dietitian, provides nutrition counseling and consulting to individuals, families and businesses. She can be reached at RD@halfacup.com.