Peter’s OT goal sends Rad­nor past Shana­han

Daily Local News (West Chester, PA) - - SPORTS - By Rich flana­gan

RAD­NOR >> Head coach Joe Caruolo de­scribed it as “chaos.” A mix­ture of Rad­nor and Bishop Shana­han play­ers sur­rounded the net, making it dif­fi­cult for Ea­gles goalie Austin Coron to find the ball.

Out of the pile sprinted Rad­nor’s Ryan Peter, who kicked home the game-win­ning goal to pro­pel the Raiders to 1-0 vic­tory in over­time to ad­vance to the PIAA Dis­trict 1 Class AAA title game.

With the win, Rad­nor also clinched its first state play­off ap­pear­ance since 2004. For Caruolo, his Rad­nor team scored be­cause of their abil­ity to han­dle that “chaos” in front of the net.

“I saw the chaos and the scrum then a mo­ment of com­po­sure. It was a sim­ple pass with a mo­ment of com­po­sure,” Caruolo said. “We found a mo­ment of clar­ity and we fin­ished one of our only chances.”

Bobby Kirsch fed the ball to Peter Miller, who made a timely pass to Peter for the win­ning as­sist. In a game where they did not have many op­por­tu­ni­ties, par­tic­u­larly in the sec­ond half and over­time, Rad­nor (12-7-1) was able to cash in when it mat­tered most.

The player who con­tin­u­ally put the Raiders in po­si­tion to score

against Bishop Shana­han (12-8) was se­nior mid­fielder An­drew Bou­joukos. Bou­joukos was play­ing in place of Jack Miller, who was out af­ter pick­ing up a red card in the team’s win against Phoenixville last week. Miller gave Bou­joukos, who had the first shot on goal 1 minute, 21 sec­onds into the game, some much needed ad­vice be­fore the game.

“His num­ber one thing to me was to just stop on the ball and the field will open up,” Bou­joukos said. “I just felt like I was able to find our wide guys and able to make plays just by stop­ping the ball.”

Bou­joukos made two strong throw-ins on cor­ner at­tempts, one of which nearly scored on a header from Cal Hen­son but Coron se­cured one of his seven saves.

The chances were few for Rad­nor but Shana­han had a cou­ple of op­por­tu­ni­ties to win the game. Matthew Ziegler put a shot on goal nine min­utes into the first half that Rad­nor goalie Ben Toomey (six saves) lost but re­gained be­fore the ball could roll into the net. In the sec­ond half, Har­ri­son Coron took the ball deep down the base­line and crossed it in front of the net but Rad­nor’s de­fense re­cov­ered and cleared it. Ea­gles head coach James Kava­lik knew his team had their chances but didn’t make them count.

“Any time the ball got down the flank and got into the mid­dle, our guys missed our mark,” Kava­lik said. “Rad­nor’s de­fense stepped up and stopped us from get­ting any qual­ity shots on goal” late.

Rad­nor now shifts its fo­cus to No. 1 seed Holy Ghost Prep. Rad­nor has beaten its share of good teams dur­ing this run and Caruolo has seen his team con­tin­u­ally ac­cept the chal­lenge of making plays when they needed to.

“At the end of the day, to see the in­tan­gi­bles in (how) this team pulls out wins against good teams it makes you emo­tional as a coach,” Caruolo said. “To see them step up to that chal­lenge makes you speech­less in the end.”


Rad­nor’s Ryan Peter (11) and An­drew Bou­joukos (13) cel­e­brate as Bishop Shana­han goalie Austin Coron and Har­ri­son Coron walk off af­ter Peter’s goal in over­time in the Dis­trict 1 semi­fi­nal Wed­nes­day at Rad­nor.


Rad­nor’s Miles Mae­saka (1) chases Bishop Shana­han’s Matt Ziegler (11) in a bat­tle for the ball in the sec­ond half Wed­nes­day night.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.