Red Devils roll over Chi in sea­son fi­nale

Daily Local News (West Chester, PA) - - SPORTS - By Pa­trick Crossan For Dig­i­tal First Me­dia @crossan11 on Twit­ter

WEST GROVE >> Avon Grove sti­fled Chich­ester on its way to a 32-7 vic­tory in the sea­son fi­nale for the Red Devils.

“When I got here, foot­ball didn’t mat­ter,” said Avon Grove head coach Harry O’Neil. “It was just an ac­tiv­ity. But, be­cause of these guys, now it mat­ters. We still had a bleacher full of peo­ple in a game that didn’t mat­ter to anybody but us.”

The de­fense for Avon Grove was on-point, not al­low­ing Chich­ester to cross the 50-yard line un­til the first play in the fourth quar­ter.

Avon Grove safety Tyler Boyd helped start the de­fen­sive effort early in the game. Boyd picked off Chich­ester quar­ter­back An­drew Ro­driguez on the first drive of the game and re­turned it for a 30-yard touch­down.

“We’ve been watch­ing film all week so we knew it was com­ing,” Boyd said. “I just saw the re­ceiver com­ing in and the quar­ter­back step­ping up. I made the play but our d-line put the pres­sure on them, so it was an all­team effort.”

Af­ter that in­ter­cep­tion, Avon Grove had its way with Chich­ester.

Five min­utes af­ter Boyd’s in­ter­cep­tion, Avon Grove’s of­fense scored on an eight­yard pitch to se­nior tail­back Nate Jones. Jones ran to the out­side and made his cut be­hind a key block by Niko Arhon­takis. Jones rushed 11 times for 25 yards and one touch­down in his last game as a Red Devil.

“It feels amaz­ing to get the win,” Jones said. “Play­ing with my broth­ers who I have been play­ing with my whole life. I loved play­ing here and to play with them one last time felt great.”

Af­ter the game, O’Neil said re­plac­ing what Jones brought to the team won’t be easy.

Kevin Fran­cis scored in the third quar­ter on a three-yard run up the mid­dle. Other than Jones, Fran­cis was the only other run­ning back to score and run for dou­ble-digit yards. He fin­ished with six rushes for 49 yards and the touch­down in the third.

At half­time, Avon Grove locked in with a 22-0 lead over Chich­ester.

And af­ter half­time, it was much of the same for Avon Grove.

Again, Boyd kicked off the half with a touch­down. Only this time it was on of­fense.

On the touch­down, Boyd lulled the de­fense into think­ing he was run­ning a re­verse, only to set his feet and fire a ball 28 yards to a wide-open Brett Yurkovich in the end zone to put Avon Grove up 29-0.

“We’ve been prac­tic­ing that play all week,” Boyd said. “The safeties were run­ning up on the re­verse and I’m lucky I got it there.”

Yurkovich lead his team in re­ceiv­ing yards for the game with three catches for 79 yards and a touch­down.

Chich­ester’s only score came with four min­utes left in the fourth quar­ter. Rashaad Shaw took the ball on a quar­ter­back sneak from the 1-yard line to put the Ea­gles on the board.

Even though the game was their last of the sea­son and not a play­off game, O’Neil had some thoughts on what his team has brought to the pro­gram.

“I told them be­fore their legacy isn’t in wins and losses it’s in what they brought to the cul­ture,” O’Neil said. “The guys played hard. They re­spected the fact that there was a game to play. Even though it was a con­tin­gency game and not a play­off game.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.