Fire­fight­ers bat­tle overnight blaze in city

The two res­i­dents home at the time of the fire suf­fered from smoke in­hala­tion

Daily Local News (West Chester, PA) - - FRONT PAGE - By Ginger Rae Dun­bar gdun­bar@21st-cen­tu­ry­media.com @GingerDun­bar on Twit­ter

Two Coatesville res­i­dents es­caped their burn­ing home and were treated for smoke in­hala­tion.

Two home­own­ers, who fire­fight­ers say were lucky to es­cape their burn­ing home overnight, were treated for smoke in­hala­tion.

Coatesville fire­fight­ers and sur­round­ing fire com­pa­nies were dis­patched Mon­day at 2:06 a.m. for a sin­gle-story house fire re­ported with smoke in the dwelling.

Upon Coatesville police ar­rival, they re­ported heavy smoke show­ing from the home in the 700 block of Coates Street and that all the oc­cu­pants had va­cated. Coatesville Bat­tal­ion Chief Craig Pat­ton said just prior to the Coatesville Fire De­part­ment’s ar­rival, police then re­ported heavy fire show­ing. Pat­ton said upon their ar­rival, they saw heavy fire show­ing from the whole house.

“The fire de­part­ment got there pretty quick and got a good knock on it,” Pat­ton said. “It was a quick knock within min­utes of ar­riv­ing.”

The fire was placed un­der con­trol in 30 min­utes, Pat­ton said.

Two res­i­dents were home at the time of the fire, ac­cord­ing to Pat­ton. He said they called 911 from in­side their home to report the fire and the dis­patcher told them to exit. Pat­ton said he was glad that the res­i­dents had left their home and that they were “lucky to make it out.”

“The fire started go­ing through the whole house when we ar­rived,” Pat­ton said.

The res­i­dents, mother and daugh­ter, were both trans­ported to Brandy­wine Hos­pi­tal for smoke in­hala­tion. Fire­fight­ers said that there was sub­stan­tial smoke in the home when the res­i­dents re­ported the fire. No other in­juries were re­ported.

“There was a heavy con­cen­tra­tion of smoke in the be­gin­ning and then heavy fire,” Pat­ton said.

The first floor sus­tained heavy smoke and heat dam­age.

“Ev­ery­thing melted that was above your waist level,” Pat­ton said, in­clud­ing smoke alarms and win­dow drapes, “In ev­ery room.”

Pat­ton and the police said the fire be­gan in the liv­ing room as a heater fire. There was a por­ta­ble heater and kerosene heater in the liv­ing room, ac­cord­ing to Pat­ton. The Ch­ester County Fire Mar­shal’s Of­fice is in­ves­ti­gat­ing.

Pat­ton said the three Coatesville ca­reer fire­fight­ers on-duty had a quick re­sponse from the fire sta­tion.

“Had it not been for the quick re­sponse of fire com­pany,” Pat­ton said, “then they would have lost the whole house.”

Coatesville fire­fight­ers re-

mained on scene un­til about 4:15 a.m. They cleaned their equip­ment and were back in ser­vice by 5 a.m.

Crews from Thorn­dale, Mo­dena and Cochranville fire com­pa­nies and the Coatesville VA Hos­pi­tal Fire De­part­ment as­sisted

the Coatesville Fire De­part­ment, in ad­di­tion to Brandy­wine Medic 93 and Coatesville Washington Hose Com­pany Am­bu­lance.

PHO­TOS BY MARK J WALSH/IRISHEYEZ PHO­TOG­RA­PHY

Coatesville fire­fight­ers said there was heavy fire show­ing upon their ar­rival to a home in the 700 block of Coates Street in Coatesville.

PHO­TOS BY MARK J WALSH/IRISHEYEZ PHO­TOG­RA­PHY

A Coatesville fire­fighter is op­er­at­ing on the roof of the home in the 700 block of Coates Street in Coatesville.

Fire­fight­ers were dis­patched to a house fire overnight into Mon­day morn­ing in the 700 block of Coates Street in Coatesville for a report of a heater on fire. A Mo­dena fire­fighter as­sists at the scene.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.