Tips to avoid package theft
Pennsylvania State Police have several suggestions for homeowners who are concerned about an increase in package thieves around the holidays. With the popularity of online shopping, Pennsylvania State Police suggest the following to deter criminals from targeting your porch:
• Install cameras on the outside of the home.
• Put inside lights and radios on timers, to give the appearance that someone is home.
• Empty trash cans are a clear signal that no one is home. Ask a neighbor to return the empty cans to a designated area.
• Request specific dropoff time and date.
• Sign up for alerts through the delivery service alerting you to when your package is delivered.
• If you know the date and approximate time of a package delivery, ask a neighbor to pick it up for you.
• Have packages delivered to a local UPS store.
• Make use of modern technology. There are multiple smartphone applications that allow packages to be tracked.
• Call 911 if you see something strange and report the tip to authorities with as much detail as possible.