LSU defeats Auburn on last-play field goal
AUBURN, ALA. » Cole Tracy kicked a 42-yard field goal on the final play to give No. 12 LSU a 22-21 victory over No. 7 Auburn on Saturday in their SEC opener.
Joe Burrow led LSU (3-0) down the field in the final minutes with clutch plays and two pass interference calls against Auburn (2-1). That set up Tracy’s field goal that was almost right down the middle and sent LSU players swarming onto the field to celebrate.
Burrow hit Derrick Dillon over the outstretched arms of Auburn linebacker Deshaun Davis for a 71yard touchdown strike with 8:18 left. Burrow’s two-point attempt failed, leaving Auburn up 21-19. BYU 24, (6) WISCONSIN 21 » Squally Canada ran for 118 yards and two touchdowns and BYU (21) handed mistake-prone Wisconsin (2-1) its first nonconference home loss since 2003.
The Cougars tossed in a trick play, too, when receiver Aleva Hifo found open tight end Moroni Laulu-Pututau for a 31-yard TD pass in the second quarter.
(8) NOTRE DAME 22, VANDERBILT
17» Jalen Elliott knocked the ball loose from Vanderbilt (2-1) receiver Kalija Lipscomb with 1:07 remaining to give Notre Dame (30) a fourth-down stop.
Kyle Shurmur threw for 326 yards and a TD for Vanderbilt, rallying his team from a 16-3 halftime deficit. His fourth-and-4 pass from the Irish 31 to Lipscomb, who caught 11 passes, was nicely thrown and the receiver almost hung on at the 11. But Elliott, with help from the ground, knocked the ball loose and incomplete.
(2) CLEMSON 38, GEORGIA SOUTHERN7» A week of worry at Clemson (3-0) over an approaching hurricane ended with a victory over Georgia Southern (2-1) in front of a full crowd.
At kickoff the crowd of 79,844 had sun and mild breezes.
(3) GEORGIA 49, MIDDLE TENNESSEE 7 » Jake Fromm threw three touchdown passes and Elijah Holyfield ran for 100 yards, each playing only the first half for Georgia (3-0).
(5) OKLAHOMA 37, IOWA STATE 27 » Kyler Murray threw for 348 yards and three TDs and Oklahoma (30) held off Iowa State (0-2) in the Big 12 opener for both teams.
(9) STANFORD 30, UC DAVIS 10 » K.J. Costello overcame a rough start to throw two TD passes to JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Stanford
(3-0) beat FCS-level UC Davis (2-1).
(24) OKLAHOMA STATE 44, (17) BOISE STATE 21 » Taylor Cornelius ran for two TDs and passed for another to help Oklahoma State
(3-0) beat Boise State (2-1).
(19) MICHIGAN 45, SMU 20 » Shea Patterson threw three TD passes to Donovan Peoples-Jones, helping Michigan (2-1) pull away to beat SMU (0-3).
(20) OREGON 35, SAN JOSE STATE
22» Justin Herbert threw for
309 yards and three TDs and Oregon beat San Jose State.
(21) MIAMI 49, TOLEDO 24 » Malik Rosier threw for two TDs and ran for three more to help Miami (2-1) beat Toledo (1-1).