Sweet Potato Dumplings
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, RICE-FREE, SOY-FREE Once cooked these dumplings can be added to soup, served with a cream sauce, sautéed in fat of your choice and combined with a variety of vegetables like kale, mushrooms or fennel.
1 large sweet potato (reserve 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato) ½ cup millet flour ¼ cup finely ground almond meal 3 tablespoons tapioca starch 1 tablespoon baking powder ¼ teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 1 large egg yolk 1. Pierce the sweet potato with a fork several times on each side, put on a plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turnover and microwave for an additional 5 minutes. Carefully remove the sweet potato from the microwave and split each potato in half lengthwise and put back in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute. Take the sweet potato from the microwave, and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of the sweet potato into a fine mesh strainer and place over a bowl, let cool and drain for 15 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the millet flour, almond meal, tapioca starch, salt and nutmeg. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture, and place the egg yolk in the middle, lightly beat the yolk, add the sweet potato and use a fork to combine with the egg. Slowly add the flour to the sweet potato lightly kneading with your fingers. Continue to knead until the ingredients are combined and a dough ball can be formed. Place dough into the fridge for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into four sections. Use both hands to roll one section of the dough into a 1-inch thick line. Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
4. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Place the dumplings in the boiling water and remove with a slotted spoon when they float to the surface of the water.
5. Place dumplings on a plate and combine with chosen ingredients.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 143, FAT: 4G, SATURATED FAT: 1G, SODIUM: 189MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 25G, FIBER: 2G, SUGARS: 0G, PROTEIN: 3G
1. Arrange the orange segments on a large plate and top evenly with the fennel slices and sprinkle the pomegranate seeds on top.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, water, ginger and salt. Pour the dressing over the oranges and fennel and serve.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 99, FAT: 4G, SATURATED FAT: 1G, SODIUM: 6MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 16G, FIBER: 3G, SUGARS: 13G, PROTEIN: 1G