Lemon Blueberry Scones
YIELD: 8 SCONES PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 35 MINUTES GLUTEN-FREE, EGG-FREE, SOY-FREE, RICE-FREE
For the Scones 1 cup almond flour ½ cup buckwheat flour ½ cup coconut flour ⅓ cup sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder ¼ teaspoon salt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter, cut into slices ½ cup cold buttermilk 2 teaspoons lemon zest 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
For the Sugar Topping ¼ cup sugar 2 teaspoons lemon zest 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together almond flour, buckwheat flour, coconut flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until well combined.
3. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or fork until small pea-sized crumbles form. Add in the buttermilk and lemon zest and mix until well combined. Gently add in the blueberries.
4. Using your hands, shape the dough into a large ball. Press out the dough on the prepared baking sheet into a circle that is approximately 8 inches in diameter.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges, but do not cut completely apart.
6. To make the topping, in a separate small bowl, whisk together the sugar and lemon zest. Sprinkle the lemon sugar on top of the prepared dough. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes until lightly golden. Cool slightly and pull the scones apart to serve. NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 291, FAT: 20G, SATURATED FAT: 9G, SODIUM: 215MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 27G, FIBER: 6G, SUGARS: 14G, PROTEIN: 6G JANUARY - FEBRUARY 2016