Coconut Rum Cake with Whipped Pineapple Frosting
YIELD: 20 - 30 SERVINGS PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 2 HOURS 10 MINUTES GLUTEN-FREE, SOY-FREE
Who doesn’t love layer cake? Pineapple juice lightly sweetens the whipped frosting and adds a unique flavor into the mix!
For the cake 6 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour 4 cups granulated sugar 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened 5 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 12 large eggs 3 cups milk ¼ cup dark rum 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting 4 cups heavy whipping cream ¾ cup pineapple juice ⅔ cup confectioner’s sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the toasted coconut flakes ½ cup coconut flakes, unsweetened MARCH - APRIL 2016 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch springform pans with nonstick spray and set them aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, shredded coconut, baking powder and salt.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs, milk, dark rum and vanilla extract. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until combined thoroughly.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
5. Using a knife, level out the cake pieces so that they are completely flat and even. Set aside.
6. For the frosting, combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on high speed until whipped consistency is achieved.
7. To assemble the cake, place one piece of cake on a serving plate or cake stand and smooth a layer of frosting over the top. Place the other cake piece on top and smooth the remaining frosting all over the cake.
8. To make the toasted coconut flakes, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the coconut flakes in a single layer. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes until browned and toasty. Be careful not to burn them!
9. Garnish cake with toasted coconut flakes and refrigerate until ready to serve.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 458, FAT: 21G, SATURATED FAT 13G, CHOLESTEROL: 144MG, SODIUM: 129MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 62G, FIBER: 4G, SUGARS: 40G, PROTEIN: 6G
2 ripe Hass avocadoes, peeled, seed removed and sliced ¼ cup diced red onion 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves 2 tablespoons lime juice ½ teaspoon salt ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper ⅓ cup fresh peaches, finely chopped ⅓ cup fresh pineapple, finely chopped
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine avocadoes, onion, cilantro and lime juice and pulse until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add in the salt and pepper and pulse for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add in the peach and pineapple bits, mixing well until combined thoroughly.
3. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 64, FAT: 5G, SATURATED FAT 1G, CHOLESTEROL: 0MG, SODIUM: 63MG, CARBOHYDRATES:5G, FIBER: 3G, SUGARS: 1G, PROTEIN: 1G MARCH - APRIL 2016