Avocado Crab Soup
YIELD: 6 SERVINGS TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, EGG-FREE, SOY-FREE, RICE-FREE
For the soup: 1 teaspoon avocado oil 1 cup chopped white onion ½ cup chopped poblano pepper ¼ teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper 1 tablespoon minced garlic 4 cups chicken stock 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice 2 large ripe avocadoes, pitted,
peeled and chopped 1 teaspoon fish sauce Salt, to taste Pepper, to taste
For the crab topping: 1 teaspoon avocado oil 1 teaspoon smoked paprika 1 teaspoon cumin powder 1 cup frozen corn kernels ½ cup jarred roasted red pepper,
drained and diced ¼ cup diced green onion, white parts only 1 teaspoon minced garlic 8 ounces fresh jumbo lump crab meat ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves 1. In a large pot, heat avocado oil over medium-low heat. Add in the onion, poblano pepper, and salt and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add in the garlic and cook 1 additional minute. Add in the chicken stock and bring to a slow simmer. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
3. While soup is simmering, make the crab topping. To make the topping, in a mediumsized skillet, heat avocado oil over medium heat. Add in the smoked paprika and cumin and cook for one minute.
4. Add in the corn, roasted red peppers, green onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the crab and cilantro. Cook for 3 minutes and then remove from heat and set aside.
6. Remove the soup mixture from heat and stir in the avocados, lime juice and fish sauce. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
7. Put soup back on lowest heat setting, just to warm through.
8. Pour soup into serving bowls and top with crab mixture before serving.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 400, FAT: 18G, SATURATED FAT 3G, CHOLESTEROL: 30MG, SODIUM: 528MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 45G, FIBER: 15G, SUGARS: 7G, PROTEIN: 21G
JANUARY - FEBRUARY 2017
Note: If using bacon bits such as Bac-os, you can eliminate the olive oil and the sauté step—the bacon bits can be added to the soup “as is.”
EXCERPTED FROM THE BOOK OF VEGANISH BY KATHY FRESTON. COPYRIGHT ©2016. AVAILABLE FROM PAM KRAUS BOOKS, AN IMPRINT OF PENGUIN RANDOM HOUSE LLC.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 377, FAT: 17G, SATURATED FAT 3G, CHOLESTEROL: 0MG, SODIUM: 655MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 39G, FIBER: 9G, SUGARS: 6G, PROTEIN: 15G
4. Add the wine, mushroom stock, water, miso, parsley, and thyme and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Season with fresh cracked pepper and salt. Serve immediately.
EXCERPTED FROM THE GLUTEN-FREE VEGETARIAN FAMILY COOKBOOK: 150 HEALTHY RECIPES FOR MEALS, SNACKS, SIDES, DESSERTS, AND MORE BY SUSAN O’BRIEN. COPYRIGHT ©2015. AVAILABLE FROM DA CAPO LIFELONG BOOKS, AN IMPRINT OF PERSEUS BOOKS, LLC, A SUBSIDIARY OF HACHETTE BOOK GROUP, INC.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: CALORIES: 229, FAT: 12G, SATURATED FAT 6G, CHOLESTEROL: 23MG, SODIUM: 751MG, CARBOHYDRATES: 27G, FIBER: 5G, SUGARS: 13G, PROTEIN: 5G
JANUARY - FEBRUARY 2017