Vik­ings fall in con­fer­ence ti­tle game to Bucs

Kent Is­land yields early goal, then reels off 14 in a row in rout of the Vik­ings

Dorchester Star - - Sports - By DAVID INSLEY dins­ley@star­

CENTREVILLE — Austin Fowler wasn’t wor­ried.

Just 72 sec­onds into Tues­day evening’s Bay­side Con­fer­ence boys’ lacrosse cham­pi­onship at Queen Anne’s County High, Fowler had given up a goal to Cam­bridge-South Dorch­ester’s Micah Brooks. But the Kent Is­land goal­keeper didn’t let it af­fect him, know­ing his team would re­spond.

“I knew the of­fense could take care of it, and we’ve had good de­fense all year,” Fowler said. “I had con­fi­dence in them.” It was well-placed. The Buc­ca­neers, fu­eled by five Luke Fromert goals and a first-half hat trick by Sean Mooney, reeled off 14 straight unan­swered scores, cruis­ing to a 19-3 rout of the Vik­ings for their fourth straight con­fer­ence ti­tle.

“It was nice, yeah, to get the first one in,” C-SD coach Steve Hur­ley said of Brooks’s early tally; his team is now 6-6. “But I also knew there was a lot of game left.

“We didn’t play our game, and they did, they re­ally did,” Hur­ley added. “They pressed it out, and kept on us all night. They wanted it.” Kent Is­land is now 10-2. Brooks’s goal, com­ing with 10 min­utes, 48 sec­onds left in the first quar­ter, brought the C-SD fans to their feet. But the Buc­ca­neers’ ri­poste was quick, and repet­i­tive.

De­spite los­ing the face­off four of the first five oc­ca­sions, the Buc­ca­neers pressed in on the Vik­ing at­tack, pick­ing up loose ground balls and po­si­tion­ing their de­fense to be near the ball on al­most ev­ery oc­ca­sion.

The re­sult, de­spite early strug­gles in the face­off, was a 4-1 lead half­way through the first pe­riod.

“Be­fore the game we talked a lot about com­ing out hot and ready to go,” Buc-

ca­neers head coach Davey Jones said. “Cam­bridge is a very well-coached team, and they’ve got some guys who can play ball.

“We talked about how, early on, we wanted to try to put this game away early,” Jones added. “And we did that, de­spite the early goal.”

Mike Quinn’s bound­ing shot with 9:25 to go in the first pe­riod found the net, ty­ing the game. At the 7-minute mark, Bran­don Gal­loway scored to put the Bucs ahead for good. Mooney put in his first score of the night a minute later.

Ahead 8-1 af­ter one quar­ter,

the Bucs pulled ahead 12-1 by half­time, set­ting up a non­stop clock af­ter the break. At one point the champs went just 12 sec­onds between firsthalf goals. Kent Is­land out­shot C-SD 33-16.

Fowler shook off the first goal, he said, by “Com­ing in here, mind fo­cused, one shot at a time, and keep[ing] your mind on the game.”

“Our de­fense was play­ing lockdown, and got the ball for the of­fense — and we just were putting the balls in the net,” Mooney said.

Fromert added five as­sists to go with his game-high five scores, while Mooney dished four as­sists. Mike Quinn had a hat trick and an as­sist for the vic­tors, while Bren­dan Smith, Jack­son Kra­tovil and Gal­loway each scored twice; midfielders Shane Slot­ter­back and Parker Dixon added sin­gle goals. Emory Wongus scored twice for the Vik­ings.

Kent Is­land won the teams’ reg­u­lar-sea­son meet­ing, 19-4, on April 29.

With the play­offs set to be­gin today, both teams have byes, and will be host­ing sec­ond-round games Fri­day.

The Vik­ings, the top seed in the 2A-1A East’s Sec­tion II, take on the win­ner of Kent County and Wi­comico High that night at 6 p.m. The Buc­ca­neers, in Sec­tion I of the 3A-2A East, look to be­gin their de­fense of back-to-back ti­tles against the win­ner of Stephen De­catur’s game at Park­side, at 7 p.m. at Andy Schipul Sta­dium.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.