Roof plans for air­port pend­ing

El Dorado News-Times - - Front Page - By Tia Lyons Staff Writer

With­out a quo­rum Tues­day, the El Do­rado Works Board could not take any ac­tion on a fund­ing re­quest to pay for a new roof for the ter­mi­nal build­ing at South Arkansas Re­gional Air­port at Good­win Field.

Mickey Mur­fee, chair­man of the El Do­rado Air­port Com­mis­sion, made the pitch for a por­tion of the city’s eco­nomic de­vel­op­ment sales tax, which is ad­min­is­tered by the El Do­rado Works Board, with fi­nal ap­proval from the El Do­rado City Coun­cil.

Blake Dunn, of CADM Ar­chi­tec­ture, Inc., and Mayor Frank Hash as­sisted Mur­fee in mak­ing the case to re­place the de­te­ri­o­rat­ing roof of the air­port ter­mi­nal.

Dunn told EWB mem­bers Ali­son Ab­son and Greg Downum that the roof re­place­ment had been in­cor­po­rated into a master ren­o­va­tion plan for the ter­mi­nal build­ing.

CADM drafted the plan in 2015 and re­vised it ear­lier this year, with the pre­lim­i­nary bud­get es­ti­mated at $2.1 mil­lion — the same as it was two years ago when the plan was drafted.

Air­port com­mis­sion­ers sub­se­quently con­cluded they would have to seek out fund­ing to cover the restora­tion project.

How­ever, the de­te­ri­o­ra­tion of the roof has con­tin­ued and is ac­cel­er­at­ing, Dunn said Tues­day.

He dis­trib­uted pho­to­graphs of dam­age to the plas­ter in the ceil­ing that has been caused by leaks inside the air­port ter­mi­nal.

“These were taken two years ago, and it looks worse now. The plas­ter in the ceil­ing is con­tin­u­ing to de­te­ri­o­rate on the first floor, the sec­ond floor and in the stair­well,” Dunn said.

“You have odor and mois­ture in the build­ing, and the longer you wait, the worse it will get,” he con­tin­ued.

Air­port com­mis­sion­ers and Hash agreed ear­lier this

year that the roof needs to be ad­dressed im­me­di­ately, with Dunn adding that the prob­lem will worsen in the win­ter.

Since then, it’s been a race for the com­mis­sion to raise fund­ing and get the project started be­fore win­ter sets in. On Tues­day, Dunn said the pre­lim­i­nary bud­get es­ti­mate for the roof re­place­ment was $170,000, and the low bid came in at $114,200.

The bid was awarded to El Do­rado Roof­ing Com­pany, LLC. Dunn and Mur­fee said the com­pany has se­cured the ma­te­ri­als for the project and is wait­ing for the OK to be­gin work.

Dunn noted that bid spec­i­fi­ca­tions in­clude a $25,000 con­tin­gency for any un­ex­pected is­sues that crews may en­counter.

Dur­ing an air­port com­mis­sion meet­ing on Monday, com­mis­sion­ers said they would await a de­ci­sion on a grant ap­pli­ca­tion that was sub­mit­ted to the Arkansas Depart­ment of Aero­nau­tics to cover a por­tion of the project.

Blake Rober­son, of Garver, the air­port com­mis­sion’s en­gi­neer­ing firm of record, said ADA com­mis­sion­ers are ex­pected to meet next week, not­ing that the de­ci­sion about the grant could come prior to the meet­ing.

Mur­fee said Tues­day that if ap­proved, the grant would cover 50 per­cent of the cost of the roof re­place­ment.

Hash also ex­plained that if the work be­gins be­fore the grant is ap­proved, the city would no longer be eli­gi­ble for the grant.

“This body is the only source of money, out­side of re­serves from the city. The worst case is we’ll have to come up with the en­tire en­chi­lada. The best case is it’ll be 50/50,” Hash said.

“We’re in a time-crunch with the con­tract let­ting, weather and a city coun­cil meet­ing,” the mayor said.

If the EWB ap­proves the fund­ing re­quest, the city coun­cil will have the fi­nal vote on the mat­ter. Al­der­men will next con­vene for a reg­u­lar meet­ing on Oct. 19.

Hash in­quired about the bid guar­an­tee from El Do­rado Roof­ing, and Dunn said the bid ex­pired Monday.

“Tech­ni­cally, they don’t have to honor the bid, but I don’t think it will be a prob­lem. They un­der­stand that some­times you need more time, and I haven’t heard any­thing oth­er­wise from them,” Dunn said.

“Novem­ber is not an ideal time to do a roof re­place­ment, but it can work,” he added. “I think it’ll be OK if we start within the next two or three weeks, but much be­yond that, it be­comes risky.”

Downum in­quired about the type of roof that will go atop the ter­mi­nal and its life ex­pectancy. Dunn said the new roof will be a lows­lope with TPO (Ther­mo­plas­tic Poly­oelefin) mem­brane, the same ma­te­rial that was used on a ren­o­va­tion project at the El Do­rado Mu­nic­i­pal Au­di­to­rium and the El Do­rado School District ad­min­is­tra­tive of­fice.

“We’re talk­ing about a Class A roof here,” said Bob Wat­son, air­port com­mis­sioner and former su­per­in­ten­dent of El Do­rado pub­lic schools.

Dunn also said the new roof will come with a 25-year war­ranty.

Ali­son asked how the city is ad­dress­ing the mois­ture in­fil­tra­tion in the ter­mi­nal build­ing. Mur­fee and Dunn said the air con­di­tion­ing sys­tem is used as a de­hu­mid­i­fier.

Ab­son said the EWB could call a spe­cial meet­ing to con­sider the fund­ing re­quest, and Hash said the mat­ter could be pre­sented to the city coun­cil as early as next week.

Other busi­ness

The board held off on an up­date about the ren­o­va­tion of the mu­nic­i­pal au­di­to­rium.

Dur­ing the EWB’s reg­u­lar meet­ing, Hash said there was an on­go­ing is­sue with the air con­di­tion­ing sys­tem, and the city was with­hold­ing a $25,000 pay­ment from con­struc­tion man­ager East Harding Con­struc­tion un­til the is­sue is fixed.

CADM drafted the plan for the $5.6 mil­lion ren­o­va­tion, which was largely com­pleted in the sum­mer of 2016 when the au­di­to­rium was re­opened for a show by Richard Marx.

EWB mem­bers agreed to wait un­til the full board was present to dis­cuss the au­di­to­rium.

Ab­son re­minded the group that EWB chair­man Robert Reynolds’s term ex­pires in Jan­uary. She said Reynolds, who was un­able to at­tend the meet­ing Tues­day, has said he does not plan to seek an­other term.

Hash said the board could choose to nom­i­nate Reynolds or seek out an­other can­di­date for nom­i­na­tion.

Ab­son said she would dou­ble-check with Reynolds to see if he still plans to roll off the board.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.