Stock Your Pantry for Mexican Cooking
You can enjoy the flavors of a Mexican cantina in your kitchen anytime if you’re stocked up with the right goods.
Pantry and Dry Goods
1. Keep dried or canned chiles of all sorts on-hand. Dried chiles include ancho, chipotle, guajillo, negro and mulato.
2. Expand your spice rack with Mexican staples like chili powder, cayenne pepper and paprika, as well as oregano and cumin.
3. Buy white rice in bulk so you can create Spanish rice to accompany any dish.
4. Stock up on canned refried beans, black beans and pinto beans for use in your favorite Mexican dishes.
Refrigerator and Produce
1. Keep ready-made salsa and spicy sauces chilled and serve them alongside chips, tacos and other Mexican dishes.
2. Always have garlic, onions and fresh cilantro handy. Keep lemons and limes within reach to add bright flavor to your dishes. Also, buy fresh chiles like jalapeno and pasilla to spice up a variety of dishes. If possible, grow them yourself.
3. Store flour and corn tortillas in your cupboard or refrigerator to create burritos, tacos, enchiladas and wraps.
4. Keep Monterey Jack, queso fresco and cotija cheese on-hand to include in enchiladas and burritos.