Toward the end of 1916, the German High Command introduced the AEG G.IV bomber ( Allgemeine Elektricitäts-GesellschaftGrossflugzeug). While a slight improvement on the G.III, it possessed neither the range nor lifting power to be an effective bomber. Crew accommodation was sufficient for a crew of four, but most sorties were flown with three (pilot, commander, gunner). The Commander was provided with a foldaway seat positioned to the right of the pilot for takeoff and landing. This prevented him from being killed or injured during the inevitable nose-over accident.