Witness the pioneering spirit at the Pound House
Dr. Joseph M. Pound and his wife Sarah were one of three pioneering families that helped carve Dripping Springs out of the rugged Texas Hill Country.
Dr. Pound first came to Texas in 1847 to fight in the war against Mexico. He returned to Kentucky to pursue his medical education, but returned with his wife in the early 1850s. In 1853-54, they built a two-room log cabin in an untamed area of Central Texas, present day Dripping Springs.
As a founding family of what is now Dripping Springs, the Pounds were at the hub of community life, opening their house and grounds to serve as medical office and hospital, church sanctuary, schoolhouse, and social gathering place.
Dr. Pound was known to treat the local Indians with respect and, in turn, the “medicine man” and his family were spared the raids going on around them at the time. A trail used by the Kiowa and Comanche Indians, which once populated the area, can still be seen southeast of the house.
The Pounds raised nine children
here. Four generations of family occupied the farmstead over a period of 130 years, until 1983.
As the community grew, the log house evolved into the beautiful home that exists to this day. The community of Dripping Springs has spent several years and a great deal of money to repair and restore the home and farmstead.
The Pound House is a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The Friends of the Pound House Foundation, with the support of individuals, businesses and foundations throughout Cen tra l Texas, secured funding for and coordinated t h e restoration project.
The restoration was completed in May 2003. The home now contains much of the family’s furniture, decorations and physician’s equipment.
Restoration of vegetable, herb and flower gardens, and security fencing in keeping with the period was completed in 2005.
Two annual events help support ongoing restoration and upkeep at the Pound House. The “Legends of Texas Swing” music festival, which takes place each May; and Fall Fest, a celebration of pioneer life with demonstrations, tours and activities, held on the museum grounds every September (see related stories).
The museum is open to the public Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.except for the month of December.
For information and current hours of operation, call (512) 894-4410, (512) 858-4547, or write Friends of the Pound House Foundation, P.O. Box 1150, Dripping Springs, TX 78620. Visit www.drpoundpioneerfarmstead.com for more information.
The Dr. Pound Pioneer Farmstead is located at the end of Founders Park, on Ranch Rd. 12, one-third mile north of U.S. 290. Enter the park and continue to the end of the drive. The museum is located at the northeast corner of the park.