Feds say California rejects proposed duties for troops at border
SAN DIEGO — The Trump administration said Monday that California Gov. Jerry Brown rejected terms of the National Guard’s initial deployment to the Mexican border, but a state official said nothing was decided.
“The governor determined that what we asked for is unsupportable, but we will have other iterations,” said Ronald Vitiello, U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s acting deputy commissioner, to reporters in Washington.
Brown elicited rare and effusive praise from President Donald Trump last week for pledging 400 troops to the Guard’s border mission.
But the Democratic governor conditioned his commitment on troops having nothing to do with immigration enforcement, even in a supporting role.