Death of man in Puerto Rico linked to Zika
Puerto Rico on Friday reported its first death from a paralysis condition that developed from a Zika infection as the U.S. territory fights an epidemic of the mosquito-borne virus.
The victim was a man between 35 and 45 years old from the San Juan metro area who died from Guillain-Barre, according to state Epidemiologist Brenda Rivera. The condition can cause temporary paralysis and, in rare instances, death.
Rivera noted that it’s unusual for the victim to be so young.
“What does this tell us? That all of us are susceptible,” Rivera said as she urged Puerto Ricans to protect themselves from the mosquito-borne virus.
The man, who died last month, was obese but did not have any other health conditions, she said. No further details about the victim were provided.
The U.S. territory has 13,186 confirmed Zika cases, with 102 hospitalizations and 34 cases of Guillain-Barre. The number of Zika cases is believed to be much higher because 8 of 10 people have no symptoms, and many do not go to the doctor.