Gun­man on the run af­ter fir­ing on group in Waikiki al­ley, killing 1

Honolulu Star-Advertiser - - FRONT PAGE - By Rob Shik­ina rshik­ina@starad­ver­

Po­lice were search­ing for a man who killed one per­son and in­jured two others as he un­leashed a hail of bul­lets in a dark al­ley Saturday in Waikiki.

Po­lice said the gun­man fired at a group of peo­ple in the al­ley near the in­ter­sec­tion of Sea­side and Kuhio av­enues at about 5:45 a.m. A 22-year-old man was taken in crit­i­cal con­di­tion to a hos­pi­tal, where he died. Two other men, ages 27 and 31, were hos­pi­tal­ized in sta­ble con­di­tion, po­lice said. Po­lice opened a sec­ond­de­gree mur­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion and two at­tempted first-de­gree mur­der in­ves­ti­ga­tions. The sus­pect had not been ar­rested by Saturday af­ter­noon.

Po­lice on Saturday morn­ing taped off mul­ti­ple en­trances to the al­ley, which is lined by sev­eral busi­nesses, in­clud­ing restau­rants, an in­door shoot­ing range and a strip club named Club Al­ley Cat.

Wit­ness Sale Wells, who works se­cu­rity for the al­ley, said it was still dark and Club Al­ley Cat was get­ting ready to close at 6 a.m. when the shoot­ing be­gan. He said he saw a man walk to­ward a group of about 20 peo­ple hang­ing out near the en­trance to Club Al­ley Cat when some­one yelled that the man had a ri­fle.

The man fired four shots into the air, walked to­ward Sea­side Av­enue, then turned around and fired about 10 to 15 rounds at the group of peo­ple, Wells said.

“He shot ran­domly to the peo­ple over there,” Wells said. “The next thing I know, peo­ple were cry­ing.” Wells, a re­tired 20-year Army vet­eran, said he didn’t see any shell cas­ings com­ing from the gun, which mo­men­tar­ily caused him to think the weapon was an air gun. He said the ri­fle had a magazine at­tached and he didn’t see any cas­ings on the ground af­ter the shooter left. One per­son was shot in the arm and an­other in the but­tocks, Wells said. An­other wit­ness, who said she was a nurse, gave aid to an in­jured man.

The shooter ran out of the al­ley and ap­par­ently fled in a wait­ing ve­hi­cle on Sea­side Av­enue. Wells said he didn’t see the ve­hi­cle, but he heard it drive up and saw its brake lights in a re­flec­tion out­side the al­ley. He said the ve­hi­cle sped away af­ter the shooter left the al­ley. Wells said the shooter had a dark com­plex­ion and ap­peared to be in his 20s.

He didn’t know why the man was shoot­ing at the peo­ple, and Club Al­ley Cat employees told him no one had been kicked out of the club ear­lier in the night.

“He never said a word,” he said of the shooter.


On­look­ers gath­ered at the cor­ner of Kuhio and Sea­side av­enues in Waikiki af­ter a shoot­ing Saturday that left a 22-year-old man dead and two peo­ple in­jured. The shoot­ing took place in an al­ley where sev­eral busi­nesses are lo­cated in­clud­ing restau­rants, an in­door shoot­ing range and a strip club named Club Al­ley Cat. Po­lice taped off the al­ley dur­ing their in­ves­ti­ga­tion, be­low.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.