Fire de­stroys fa­mous Austin restau­rant

Houston Chronicle Sunday - - CITY | STATE -

AUSTIN — A fire that of­fi­cials say was caused by an em­ber from a bar­be­cue pit se­verely dam­aged part of Austin’s renowned Franklin Bar­be­cue early Satur­day. No­body was in­jured in the blaze.

James Beard Award-win­ning pit­mas­ter Aaron Franklin said he re­ceived a call at 5:37 a.m. alert­ing him that his restau­rant was on fire. He jumped in his truck and headed to the restau­rant he and his wife, Stacy, opened at 900 E. 11th St. in 2011. An em­ployee cook­ing ribs had first no­ticed the fire and called 911, Franklin said.

The smoke­house, where the fire orig­i­nated, was al­most com­pletely de­stroyed, though the pits them­selves weren’t dam­aged. Part of the roof caved in, and the walk-in cool­ers suf­fered se­ri­ous dam­age.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.