Flat-Ornament Finishing Instructions
Materials • Padded mounting board • Fabric-marking pencil • Straight pins • Sewing machine (optional)
1. Measure desired distance (1/8"–1") from stitching on all sides and draw a line this distance from edge of design all around, staying on grain line of fabric when possible. Do not cut fabric. Place ornament over a piece of backing fabric (right sides together) and pin layers together along edge of stitching.
2. Sew around ornament along drawn line, leaving bottom of ornament open. Trim layers to seam allowances of 1/4". Trim corners to seam allowances of 1/8". Turn ornament to right side.
3. Using ornament as a pattern, cut mounting board. Insert mounting board into ornament and sew opening closed.
4. Attach trim and hanger.
Pillow With Piping Finishing Instructions
Materials • Coordinated fabric for backing • 1/2"-wide bias tape maxi piping • Pillow form or polyester fiberfill
1. Press stitched piece from reverse side, straightening as much as possible. Centering stitched design area, trim stitched piece to desired size. Pin piping to the front of stitched piece, aligning edges on all sides. Trim piping as needed.
2. Pin backing fabric to stitched piece right sides together. Sew together, stitching as close to piping as possible and leaving 4" opening for turning and stuffing.
3. Turn pillow right side out and press seams. Stuff pillow with fiberfill or pillow form. Using a hand-sewing needle and thread, blind-stitch opening closed.