Wide re­ceiver Jack­son re­mains with Charg­ers

Los Angeles Times - - Morning Briefing -

Hold­out wide re­ceiver

Vin­cent Jack­son re­mains the prop­erty of the San Diego Charg­ers de­spite his agent say­ing he had deals in place with sev­eral teams be­fore Wed­nes­day’s dead­line.

Agent Neil Schwartz said he heard from mul­ti­ple gen­eral man­agers that the Charg­ers were ask­ing for “wholly un­rea­son­able” com­pen­sa­tion for Jack­son, a Pro Bowl re­ceiver who had two straight 1,000-yard sea­sons. Schwartz said an­other GM told him that Charg­ers Gen­eral Man­ager A.J. Smith seemed to be “squat­ting” on Jack­son.

Schwartz said the le­gal lan­guage with one team was al­ready drawn up and ready for Jack­son to read and sign. That was a one-year deal with an op­tion, with an av­er­age salary of more than $9 mil­lion. Schwartz de­clined to iden­tify that team, but it was widely re­ported that the Vik­ings were a ma­jor suitor.

Un­der terms of a deal ar­ranged by the NFL and the play­ers’ union, Jack­son had to sign a new con­tract by 4 p.m. EDT Wed­nes­day in or­der to play for a new team in Week 5. Now, he’ll have to fin­ish serv­ing the re­main­der of his three-game sus­pen­sion for vi­o­lat­ing the NFL’s sub­stance abuse pol­icy, and serve a three-game sus­pen­sion on the ros­ter ex­empt list if he does sign.

Un­happy over not re­ceiv­ing a long-term deal in the off-sea­son, Jack­son re­fused to sign the one-year, $3.268-mil­lion con­tract he was ten­dered as a re­stricted free agent.

Smith didn’t re­turn a call seek­ing com­ment.

Grad­kowski to start for Raiders

Five months af­ter ac­quir­ing Ja­son Camp­bell to be their start­ing quar­ter­back, the Oak­land Raiders benched him in fa­vor of Bruce

Grad­kowski be­gin­ning with this week’s game at Ari­zona.

Coach Tom Cable an­nounced the switch af­ter prac­tice Wed­nes­day, hop­ing the spark Grad­kowski pro­vided in the sec­ond half of last week’s 16-14 win over St. Louis can carry over for the rest of the sea­son.

Tampa Bay’s Jack­son sus­pended

Tampa Bay safety

Ta­nard Jack­son has been sus­pended for a min­i­mum of a year with­out pay for vi­o­lat­ing the NFL’s sub­stance abuse pol­icy.

The league made the an­nounce­ment Wed­nes­day, say­ing Jack­son has been sus­pended in­def­i­nitely but will be el­i­gi­ble for re­in­state­ment be­gin­ning Sept. 22, 2011.

Hill will start for Lions

Detroit Lions Coach Jim Schwartz says quar­ter­back

Shaun Hill will start at Min­nesota on Sun­day. Quar­ter­back Matthew

Stafford did not prac­tice Wed­nes­day. Schwartz says Stafford is do­ing well with his rehabilitation, but the coach and player haven’t said what the timetable is for his re­turn.

Saints sign Betts

Two days af­ter Reg­gie

Bush broke his leg, the New Or­leans Saints have brought back vet­eran run­ning back Ladell Betts, who the club had re­leased af­ter the pre­sea­son.

Betts, who played eight years for Washington, is try­ing to come back from a se­ri­ous left knee in­jury last sea­son. He played in two ex­hi­bi­tion games with the Saints, rush­ing nine times for 53 yards and mak­ing five catches for 24 yards.

De­nis Poroy

STAY­ING PUT: Hold­out Vin­cent Jack­son at­tracted in­ter­est from sev­eral other teams, his agent said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.