Elite military force killed terrorists, official says
Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard said it had killed the “main elements” behind a bomb attack in the country’s northwest, the semiofficial Fars news agency reported.
Fars quoted Mohammad Pakpour, head of the corps’ ground forces, as saying guardsmen had killed many of those behind the “terrorist act” in the city of Mahabad.
“They were identified and chased by the guards,” he was quoted as saying. “On Saturday many of them … were killed in an operation.” He gave no further details.
Intelligence Minister Heydar Moslehi said Thursday that the group behind Wednesday’s blast, which killed 12 people and injured 80, had been arrested.
Authorities blame the blast, which took place during an annual military parade, on anti-revolutionary militants backed by the country’s arch foes, the United States and Israel.
No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing.