5 men burned in home drug lab
Five men were seriously burned and a Redding neighborhood was jarred awake early Monday when a suspected honey oil lab exploded inside a garage, sending its roof flying through the air, authorities said.
The explosion occurred about 1 a.m. in a detached garage in the 1600 block of Green Street, a quiet residential neighborhood packed with single-family homes.
When firefighters arrived, they found five men with third-degree burns, said Deputy Chief Gerry Gray of the Redding Fire Department.
Though the men refused to cooperate, investigators found evidence of a honey oil lab inside the garage, including several butane cans, Gray said.
A honey oil lab produces highly concentrated THC, the chemical that gives marijuana its “high” effect.
Butane is used in the concentrating process and explosions involving suspected honey oil labs are becoming more frequent in Redding, Gray said.