Rose can be at All-Star festivities
Commissioner Rob Manfred says Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in activities surrounding this summer’s All-Star game in his hometown of Cincinnati.
Rose, baseball’s career hit leader and a former Reds star player and manager, agreed to a lifetime ban from the sport in 1989 after an investigation concluded he bet on his team to win while he was managing the club.
MLB permitted Rose to take part in the All-Century team announcement at Atlanta’s Turner Field during the 1999 World Series and a Reds ceremony in 2013 honoring their 1975 and ’76 championship teams.
Rose, who turned 74 this month, applied for reinstatement in September 1997 and met in November 2002 with Commissioner Bud Selig, who never ruled on the application. Rose submitted another application for reinstatement after Manfred succeeded Selig in January. More Manfred
Don’t expect to see big league baseball players at the 2020 Olympics, even if the IOC reinstates the sport for the Tokyo Games. Manfred says the sport’s international governing body should demand a long-term pledge from the International Olympic Committee before agreeing to return. Manfred also said he could see a major league exhibition game being played in Cuba in the next few years. Nathan out
Detroit closer Joe Nathan will miss the rest of the season because of a torn ligament in his pitching elbow, but the 40-year-old isn’t ready to retire.
Nathan tore his ulnar collateral ligament Wednesday while pitching on a minor league rehabilitation assignment. Hoping to show that he was ready to come off the disabled list, he tore both his previously strained flexor pronator and his UCL.
“I felt great for my first two hitters, but on the first pitch to the third batter, boom,” Nathan said Thursday. “I guess I tore both of them on one pitch.”