Du­damel or­dered to rest

Los Angeles Times - - CALENDAR - — David Ng

Gus­tavo Du­damel has can­celed up­com­ing ap­pear­ances in June be­cause of in­tense lower back spasms, his spokes­woman said, and doc­tors have or­dered him to stop work­ing, seek treat­ment and rest.

The mu­sic di­rec­tor of the Los An­ge­les Phil­har­monic had been sched­uled to ap­pear with the Gothen­burg Sym­phony Or­ches­tra in Swe­den and the Ton­halle-Or­ches­tra Zurich in Switzer­land.

For the lat­ter ap­pear­ances, he will be re­placed on the podium by Lionel Bringuier, head con­duc­tor of the Swiss or­ches­tra. In Swe­den, con­duc­tor Lahav Shani is fill­ing in, the sym­phony said.

Ac­cord­ing to his of­fi­cial web­site, the con­duc­tor, 34, is still sched­uled to ap­pear with the Simón Bo­li­var Sym­phony Or­ches­tra in July. His next sched­uled L.A. ap­pear­ances are to be­gin July 21 at the Hol­ly­wood Bowl, where he will lead the L.A. Phil­har­monic.

In 2010, the con­duc­tor in­jured his neck while con­duct­ing at Walt Dis­ney Con­cert Hall. He ex­ited the per­for­mance early but re­turned to the podium the fol­low­ing day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.