TIPS FOR FIRST-TIME LUXURY CRUISERS
LuxeGetaways asked several travel writers for their best tips when it comes to making the most of your cruise...
1. Packing: Take less than you think you will need. Stick to a few solid colors and mix and match pieces. Scarves/wraps can dress up anything.
2. Excursions: Research shore excursions and sign up online immediately if available. Make note of any special hiking shoes, rain jacket, etc. that you will need. Do not feel limited to the offered excursions – sometimes if the town is walk-able you can strike out on your own. Be sure to be back well before departure, as they will not wait for you!
3. Avoid Delays: Arrive a day or two before your ship’s departure whenever possible. Jet lag, airline delays, lost luggage and other circumstances on the day of your departure can ruin a trip.
4. Use A Travel Agency: Luxury cruises are a travel investment. Sometimes it is best to work with a travel agent so that they can recommend the best cruise line for you. In case any arrangements go wrong, they are your advocates. Look for a very low ratio of ship personnel to passengers for extra pampering.
5. What is included? Ask your travel agent, or research what is included in your fare. Wines and other alcoholic beverages, tips, a premium restaurant visit, flights, pre-cruise hotel, and some shore excursions could all be wrapped into your fare.