Man ar­rested for fourth rape al­le­ga­tion

Re­leased from pri­son in Jan­uar y

Maryland Independent - - News - By AN­DREW RICHARD­SON arichard­son@somd­ Twit­ter: @An­drew_IndyNews

More in­for­ma­tion has come to light re­gard­ing the crim­i­nal his­tory of a reg­is­tered sex-of­fender who was ar­rested last week af­ter al­legedly rap­ing a woman ear­lier that day on April 18, just three months af­ter his re­lease from pri­son. The man met the vic­tim at the park and ride on Small­wood Drive, con­vinced her to follow him, and led her to a se­cluded trail in the woods be­fore he al­legedly at­tacked.

Ed­ward Eu­gene Coates, 36, of Mar­bury was held with­out bond af­ter bail re­view. This is at least the fourth rape al­le­ga­tion Coates has faced in Mary­land, ac­cord­ing to court records. At age 16, he was charged with sec­ond-de­gree rape in Calvert County in 1996, and twice in 2007 — first in Mont­gomery County and then in Charles County.

Ini­tially charged as an adult in March 1997, his case was trans­ferred to ju­ve­nile court, and the out­come of that case is con­fi­den­tial, ac­cord­ing to a court clerk.

In the 2007 Mont­gomery County case, he pled down to a third-de­gree sex of­fense which re­sulted in a 10 year sen­tence, all but three years sus­pended.

Even­tu­ally, Coates was ex­tra­dited to Charles County and en­tered a guilty plea in 2010 for a third-de­gree sex of­fense. Cir­cuit Court Judge Steven Chap­pelle sen­tenced him to eight years, with all but five years sus­pended, ac­cord­ing to a court clerk.

Coates, who had been in cus­tody since Sept. 9, 2007, was im­pris­oned for about five years un­til he was dis­charged on manda­tory su­per­vised re­lease on Oct. 25, 2012, ac­cord­ing to the Mary­land Pa­role Com­mis­sion. He had been de­nied pa­role upon re­view, but Coates had ac­cu­mu­lated enough diminu­tion cred­its for an early re­lease.

In March 2014, Charles County Crime Solvers of­fered a cash re­ward up to $1,000 for in­for­ma­tion lead­ing to the where­abouts of Coates who was wanted on a war­rant for vi­o­lat­ing pro­ba­tion. He was ap­pre­hended a few days later af­ter po­lice re­ceived a tip from some­one who spot­ted him in Calvert County.

For the vi­o­la­tion of pro­ba­tion, Coates ap­peared be­fore Charles County Ad­min­is­tra­tive Judge Amy Bra­gu­nier who re­ac­ti­vated the re­main­der of his pri­son term, about 22 months. Af­ter his sen­tence ex­pired, he was re­leased from Patux­ent In­sti­tu­tion on Jan. 14, 2016, ac­cord­ing to the Mary­land Pa­role Com­mis­sion.

Bra­gu­nier or­dered him to re­port to his pro­ba­tion of­fi­cer within 48 hours af­ter re­lease, to re­side only with his mother at the ad­dress on record, and to take his pre­scribed med­i­ca­tion, court records in­di­cate.

About three months af­ter his re­lease, he faces rape al­le­ga­tions again.

The vic­tim in the most re­cent case had seen Coates sev­eral times at the bus stop be­fore April 18. The two would ex­change “hel­los” as they passed by, but never had a con­ver­sa­tion.

Around 4:02 p.m. on April 18, the al­leged vic­tim called the Charles County Sher­iff’s Of­fice to re­port the rape. An of­fi­cer ap­pre­hended Coates in the area shortly there­after and the vic­tim pos­i­tively iden­ti­fied him as her as­sailant, po­lice records show.

Ac­cord­ing to the vic­tim, af­ter talk­ing with Coates at the park and ride, she agreed to follow him to his house to hang out. Coates told de­tec­tives he had bought K-2, a syn­thetic mar­i­juana, from some­one at the park and ride and the two left to­gether, court records in­di­cate.

Coates led her down a trail in a wooded area, the vic­tim said, and be­gan mak­ing sex­ual com­ments that made her un­com­fort­able, charg­ing doc­u­ments state. He then re­port­edly pulled out a metal nail file and de­manded to have sex with her. She be­gan fight­ing with him and started chok­ing him on the ground, but he was able to over­power her, the vic­tim told de­tec­tives. She said he also threat­ened that he had a gun.

Ac­cord­ing to the vic­tim, Coates told her that “he smoked a ‘dip­per,’ used heroin and smoked crack” ear­lier that day, the state­ment of charges in­di­cate.

When ques­tioned by de­tec­tives, Coates said he is “schiz­o­phrenic, bi-po­lar and is on med­i­ca­tions to pre­vent him from think­ing about ‘sex,’” charg­ing doc­u­ments state.

The re­cent al­le­ga­tions are sim­i­lar to what the vic­tim from the 2007 in­ci­dent de­scribed.

On June 18, 2007, a woman was at the park and ride on Small­wood Drive when Coates ap­proached her and asked to use her cell phone. She al­lowed him to make a call, and af­ter­wards, he asked if she had a boyfriend and asked his name.

She told him, and he said he knew where her boyfriend was and con­vinced her to follow him.

Coates led the vic­tim to a se­cluded foot path in the woods and be­gan to at­tack her, grab­bing her by the neck and hold­ing up his fist as if to punch her.

The vic­tim com­plied in fear.

After­ward, she re­ported the in­ci­dent to po­lice and went to the hospi­tal where a sex­ual as­sault nurse ex­am­i­na­tion was con­ducted. The sam­ples taken from the vic­tim where sub­mit­ted to the Mary­land State Po­lice Crime Lab and re­sulted in a pos­i­tive match to the known DNA-pro­file of Coates, charg­ing doc­u­ments in­di­cate.

By the time the DNA test re­sults came back, Coates was al­ready in cus­tody in Mont­gomery County, charged with sec­ond-de­gree rape in a dif­fer­ent case.

In the end, Coates pled down to a third-de­gree sex of­fense in both cases, spent about five years in­car­cer­ated be­fore be­ing re­leased, only to re­turn two years later for another 22 months.

Now in cus­tody again, held with­out bond, Coates awaits a pre­lim­i­nary hear­ing sched­uled for May 18, per court records.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.