Fire marshal investigates two separate fires
The following items were compiled from reports from the Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal.
Lightning strike causes apartment building fire
The roof of a four-story apartment building in La Plata was struck by lightning, causing a fire in the early hours of Monday. None of the occupants were injured in the blaze, but occupants of three apartment units were displaced due to the damage.
Around 1:33 a.m. on April 2, the La Plata volunteer fire department responded to the building located at 800 Edelen Station Road, according to the office of the state fire marshal. It took about 40 firefighters from numerous departments about 10 minutes to contain the fire that caused in estimated $200,000 in fire and water damages to the building.
Electrical meter fire causes power outage
Someone caused a small fire on Monday night after deliberately tampering with an electrical meter outside a shopping center in Waldorf, according to fire marshals. The fire caused a power outage for the entire shopping center and resulted in an estimated $3,000 of damages.
On May 2 around 7:30 p.m., the Waldorf volunteer fire department responded to the shopping center located at 117 Park Waldorf Lane and quickly extinguished the flames. The Charles County Sherif’s Office and SMECO arrived soon after.
The investigation is ongoing.