Cooling centers available during summer heat
When the summer heat begins, it is important to stay cool and hydrated. The public buildings listed below are open during regular business hours for use by residents as cooling centers throughout the summer:
• Capital Clubhouse, 3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf
• Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 Charles St., La Plata
• Nanjemoy Community Center, 4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy
• Department of Community Services, 8190 Port Tobacco Road, Port Tobacco
• Charles County Public Libraries — La Plata Branch, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata; P.D. Brown Memorial Branch, 50 Village St., Waldorf; Potomac Branch, 3225 Ruth B. Swan Drive, Indian Head; Waldorf West Library, 10405 O’Donnell Place, Waldorf
• Outdoor pools — La Plata High School, 6035 Radio Station Road, La Plata; Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Road, Waldorf; McDonough High School, 7165 Marshall Corner Road, Pomfret
• Indoor pools — Donald M. Wade Aquatic Center at St. Charles High School, 5305 Piney Church Road, Waldorf; North Point High School, 2500 Davis Road, Waldorf; Lackey High School, 3000 Chicamuxen Road, Indian Head
To avoid heat-related issues, take additional precautions if working or spending time outside during extreme heat. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of water.
Citizens should call 911 in the event of any emergency, heat-related, or otherwise. For additional preparedness information, go to www.ready.gov/heat or www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/index.shtml. Information on heat illnesses can be found at dhmh.maryland.gov/extremeheat/SitePages/Home.aspx.